DoD News Channel
|DoD News Channel|
|Launched||May 14, 2004|
|Owned by||Defense Media Activity|
|Slogan||Serving Those Who Serve|
|Headquarters||Fort George G. Meade, Maryland|
|Formerly called||The Pentagon Channel (2004-2014)|
|Website||DoD News Channel|
|Dish Network||Channel 9405|
|Ku band||SES-1, 101 degrees West longitude|
|C band||Galaxy 28, 89 degrees West longitude|
|Eurobird 9A (9 degrees East)||9 degrees East in Europe|
|Available on some cable systems||Check local listings for channel|
|Verizon FiOS||Channel 124|
|Sky Angel||Channel 338|
DoD News Channel is a television channel broadcasting military news and information for the 2.6 million members of the U.S. Armed Forces. It is widely available on US Public, educational, and government access (PEG) cable tv channels, can be viewed FTA in most Central and Western European countries (from Eurobird 9A at 9.0° East), Africa, the Americas and most of Asia via satellite, and can be viewed globally via the Internet at DoDNews.Defense.gov.
Its programming includes:
- Department of Defense news briefings
- Military news
- Interviews with top Defense officials
- Short stories about the work of the United States military
- Military Lifestyle programming
DoD News Channel is free, in the public domain, and accessible 24/7 to all U.S. cable and satellite providers.
The channel was founded in 2004 as The Pentagon Channel. On July 8, 2014, The Pentagon Channel was rebranded as the DoD News Channel.
As The Pentagon Channel, the channel carried:
- RECON: A monthly half-hour informational television program providing an in-depth look on a variety of topics from real world operations, missions, military events / history and other subjects highlighting the accomplishments of U.S. military men and women.
- Around the Services: Daily half-hour program featuring military news from top Defense officials and the Military Services from around the world.
- Fit for Duty: Takes viewers through a high-energy 30-minute workout led by service members with expertise in fitness training. The show makes it simple to follow along and complete exercises demonstrated by the instructors. A military sports medicine physician also offers tips for preventing injuries and avoiding career-ending accidents during each episode of the show.
- Downrange: The latest news from Iraq and Afghanistan affecting U.S. military members.
- Battleground: Every weekend, this series features historic films from WWII, Korean War, and the Vietnam War.
- The Grill Sergeants: The Grill Sergeants teach audience members how to prepare food while the in-house Army jazz quartet “The Taste Buds,” play the show's score.
- This Week in the Pentagon: A weekly half hour update on the news coming out of the Pentagon, taking one topic each week and exploring it in-depth.
- FNG (For New Guys): FNG is a half-hour lifestyle show featuring useful benefits aimed at young troops new to the military. Viewers will learn about great low cost travel, cooking, assignments, electronics and more.
- Command Performance: Features military journalists taking you backstage with today's top entertainers for conversations with a uniquely military perspective. An updated revival of a 1940s radio program of the same name.
The Pentagon Channel also showed programming direct from the services such as, Freedom Journal Iraq, Freedom Watch Afghanistan, Army Newswatch, AFN Korea Nightly News, AFN Europe Report, Pacific Report, Eye on Nellis, The American Veteran, Air Force Space Today, and On Track with Ft. Hood, as well as live Department of Defense briefings and roundtables.
With the change to DoD News Channel, most of the non-news programming was either dropped or de-emphasized.
Cable and IPTV coverage
The Pentagon Channel is not currently available in all areas. The following television providers offer Pentagon Channel:
- Armstrong Cable Services
- Blue Ridge Communications
- Bresnan Communications
- Cable America
- Centrovision Cable
- Charter Communications
- Cox Communications
- DirecTV (coming unknown)
- Dish Network
- Dugway Cable
- Groton Utilities
- Guam Cablevision
- Hargray CATV
- Insight Communications
- Mediacom Communications Corp
- MetroCast Communications
- Midcontinent Communications
- Millington Cable
- RCN Corporation
- Sky Angel
- TCT West
- Time Warner Cable
- Trust Cable
- Verizon FiOS
- Wave Broadband
- Pentagon Channel to Move from Virginia to Maryland Government Video April 7, 2011
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to The Pentagon Channel.|
- Official Site
- Satellite distribution details
- Bravo Company: The Pentagon Channels 'Top Chef', The New Republic, by David Roth