The People Against O'Hara
|The People Against O'Hara|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||John Sturges|
|Produced by||William H. Wright|
|Screenplay by||John Monks Jr.|
|Based on||the novel The People Against O'Hara
by Eleazar Lipsky
|Music by||Carmen Dragon|
|Edited by||Gene Ruggiero|
|Box office||$1.7 million|
James Curtayne (Tracy) has retired from law, but he returns to defend John O'Hara (Arness) on a murder charge. Curtayne's drinking and rustiness result in O'Hara being found guilty, but Curtayne makes further efforts to prove him innocent.
- Spencer Tracy as Curtayne
- Pat O'Brien as Det. Ricks
- Diana Lynn as Ginny
- John Hodiak as D.A. Barra
- James Arness as John O'Hara
According to MGM records the film earned $1,107,000 in the US and Canada and $588,000 elsewhere, resulting in a $22,000 profit.
Bosley Crowther of The New York Times called it "a curiously old-fashioned courtroom drama" that "moved ploddingly". Variety wrote, "A basically good idea for a film melodrama [from a novel by Eleazar Lipsky] is cluttered up with too many unnecessary side twists and turns, and the presentation is uncomfortably overlong."
- The Eddie Mannix Ledger, Los Angeles: Margaret Herrick Library, Center for Motion Picture Study.
- Glenn Lovell, Escape Artist: The Life and Films of John Sturges, University of Wisconsin Press, 2008, p. 69.
- The People Against O'Hara at the American Film Institute Catalog.
- Crowther, Bosley (September 6, 1951). "THE PEOPLE AGAINST O'HARA". The New York Times. Retrieved January 31, 2015.
- "Review: 'The People Against O'Hara'". Variety. 1951. Retrieved January 31, 2015.
- The People Against O'Hara at the American Film Institute Catalog
- The People Against O'Hara at the Internet Movie Database
- The People Against O'Hara at AllMovie
- The People Against O'Hara at the TCM Movie Database