The Peterborough School
Peterborough School, formerly Peterborough High School, is an independent school located in Peterborough, England. Founded as a day school for girls (with girl boarders until July 2013), it is now a coeducational day school.
Peterborough School is an independent school educating boys and girls from ages 6 weeks to 18 years. Situated on a campus in central Peterborough, the school and nursery have access to road, rail and other transport. Peterborough School is a member of the Woodard group of schools. The latter is the largest collection of independent Church of England schools in England and Wales and one of the UK's principal educational charities.
The school was established in 1895 as a girls' day school on Park Road, Peterborough, and moved to the present ten-acre site at Westwood House, Thorpe Road in 1936. The school was originally called "Peterborough High School" and changed its name to Westwood House in 1936. In 1991 the name changed to "The Peterborough School". The school became a charitable trust and was incorporated into the "List of Woodard Schools" (Woodard Corporation) in 1968. The school is managed by its own governing body, some of whose members are Woodard Fellows.
Boys were first admitted into the junior school. Its success and the demand of parents led the administration to extend coeducation to the rest of the school from September 2010. u
The school ended boarding at the end of the summer term in July 2013.
- Sidney Thomas represented Great Britain in karate in the 2005 World Congress of Amateur Athletics World Goodwill Games
- "Peterborough High School: Watch out...the boys are coming!". Peterborough Evening Telegraph. 12 November 2009.
- "Girl loses claim for school fees", BBC News, 23 January 2004
- "Independent School with Nursery for Boys and Girls age 6 weeks to 18 years - Home". The Peterborough School. Retrieved 2014-05-26.
- "GCSE 2009: results from schools across Greater Peterborough". Peterborough Evening Telegraph. 28 August 2009.
- "GCSE results 2010: School by school - Peterborough and surrounding areas". Peterborough Evening Telegraph. 26 August 2010.
- "Sidney fighting to rule the world". Peterborough Evening Telegraph. 23 December 2004.
- Official website
- That One Idea: Nathaniel Woodard and His Schools. Woodard Corporation. 1 January 1991. p. 135-138. ISBN 978-0-9517654-0-1.
- [dead link]