The Pier Shops at Caesars
|Location||1 Atlantic Ocean, Atlantic City, New Jersey, USA|
|Opening date||1906 as the Million Dollar Pier
1983 as The Shops on Ocean One
2006 as The Pier Shops at Caesars
|Management||Cushman & Wakefield|
|Owner||Boardwalk Regency Corporation|
|No. of stores and services||59|
|Total retail floor area||303,788 square feet (28,222.8 m2)|
|Parking||3,000 spaces in Caesars garage|
|No. of floors||4|
The Pier Shops at Caesars is a luxury shopping mall located on a four-story pier adjacent to Caesars in Atlantic City, New Jersey. It is connected to the casino via a second-story skybridge. Constructed by Perini Building Company of Framingham, MA, it was opened in 1906 as an amusement pier named the "Million Dollar Pier". The pier was converted to a mall and renamed "The Shops on Ocean One" in 1983, and in 2006 was purchased by Caesars and extensively renovated.
The mall's four floors are:
- The Boardwalk (first floor): The floor on this level is designed to look like the Atlantic City Boardwalk and the shops tend to focus around gifts, entertainment, and moderate to upscale stores.
- The Skybridge (second floor): There is direct access from Caesars through the skyway over the Boardwalk, allowing shoppers to get to the casino while avoiding the crowded boardwalk. The more upscale shops are located on this level and the design gives the impression of shopping under the stars.
- The Promenade (third floor): The restaurants, bars, and clubs are all located on the north side of this level of the mall. The south side of the mall is a long glass window with Adirondack chairs placed in sand to give shoppers a place to relax and feel like they are at the beach.
- One Atlantic (Fourth Floor): One Atlantic is a 14,000-square-foot (1,300 m2) events venue and banquet hall on the fourth floor for weddings and parties.
"The Show" is the world's largest indoor water fountain display in a shopping mall. The fountain is choreographed and set to music. The show is performed on the hour and has two variations: a day show and a night show. The show is routinely met with applause from audiences and the most popular viewing spot is usually from the mall's second floor. “The Show” was conceptualized, designed and produced by Thinkwell Group.
In early 2011, Taubman Centers, owners and original developers of the pier shops, said it was no longer able to make payments on a $135 million mortgage. After an auction, C III Capital Partners LLC took ownership of the mall, with plans to add stores commonly found in regional shopping centers, as the luxury mall design has not worked in Atlantic City. The new owners hired Cushman & Wakefield to manage the mall.
In recent months, vacancies have plagued the mall, causing higher-end stores to the leave the mall while moderately priced stores and small businesses begin to occupy the space. There are now only 59 stores in the mall, down from the original number of over 75 stores.
On Sunday, September 27, 2009, a 42 year old man from New Jersey accidentally fell from the escalator. He fell approximately 40 feet (12 m).
- City of Atlantic City Tax Records for 1 Atlantic Ocean aka The Pier Shop at Caesars
- "The Show at the Pier at Caesars".