|The Pink Print|
|Studio album by Nicki Minaj|
|Nicki Minaj chronology|
|Singles from The Pinkprint|
The Pinkprint is the upcoming third studio album by Trinidadian-American recording artist Nicki Minaj, tentatively scheduled to be released in 2014 by Young Money Entertainment, Cash Money Records and Republic Records. It has been supported by the singles "Pills n Potions" and "Anaconda", which were released on May 21 and August 4, 2014.
Background and development
Minaj released her second studio album Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded in April 2012, and released a reissued version subtitled The Re-Up that November. In 2013, she served as a judge during the twelfth season of American Idol, and entered the retail industry with the launch of her fragrances Pink Friday and Minajesty, and the introduction of her Kmart-exclusive clothing line. Minaj first announced a follow-up album that year, in which she stated that her then-untitled third studio album would "focus on rap", whereas Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded explored more prominent elements of dance music. She further stated that she would begin writing material for the project later that year, after production was completed for her first feature film The Other Woman (2014). Minaj noted that there were currently no featured artists on the record, and commented that she was "just enjoying [the] creative process."
In November 2013, Minaj described the project as "next level" and "very different from anything I've done", and confirmed that it would "definitely be released in 2014". The album was officially announced to be titled The Pinkprint with the premiere of the track "Lookin Ass" along with its Nabil Elderkin-directed music video on February 12, 2014. Its title reportedly references The Blueprint (2001) by Jay-Z, to which Minaj replied that "I think everybody knows how obsessed I am with Jay Z. He’s always been my favorite rapper", also adding that, "He did such a great job of creating this Blueprint brand for male rappers and I wanted to do that [for] female rappers to be able to pattern themselves with what I’ve done one day". Later in February, Minaj stated that she preferred to confirm the album's release date "[when] the album is really done and I've lived with it for a long time".
In June 2014, rapper and fellow Young Money Entertainment labelmate Mack Maine revealed that The Pinkprint would be released before Tha Carter V by Lil Wayne; Minaj later clarified that her record "will definitely be out in the fourth quarter of the year." She first mentioned its cover during her verse in "True Colors" by Wiz Khalifa, in which she raps "They know I’m a mogul for real, I branded a color / Pink is the color, can’t wait to unveil The Pinkprint cover".
Minaj announced "Pills n Potions" as the lead single from the album on May 18, 2014 at the 2014 Billboard Music Awards. It was released three days later on May 21, 2014. The song has since peaked at number 24 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100.
In contrast from the vibrantly-colored wardrobe and hairpieces she had become associated with earlier in her career, Minaj embraced a more understated image during promotional efforts for The Pinkprint. She opined that "You can either continue doing costumes or you can just say, 'Hey guess what? This will shock them even more. Doing nothing will shock them even more.'" Minaj first performed "Pills n Potions" during the BET Awards 2014 on June 29, 2014.
- "Anaconda" (produced by Polow da Don & Da Internz)
- "Pills n Potions" (produced by Dr. Luke)
- "Lookin Ass" (produced by Detail)
- "iTunes - Music - Pink Friday ... Roman Reloaded (Deluxe Edition) by Nicki Minaj". iTunes Store (US). Apple Inc. April 3, 2012. Retrieved February 17, 2014.
- "iTunes - Music - Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded the Re-Up by Nicki Minaj". iTunes Store (US). Apple Inc. November 19, 2012. Retrieved August 9, 2014.
- "Nicki Minaj Unveils 'Minajesty' Fragrance Ad". Rap-Up. August 12, 2013. Retrieved February 17, 2014.
- "Nicki Minaj Launches Clothing Line at Kmart". Rap-Up. October 16, 2013. Retrieved February 17, 2014.
- Erika Ramirez (May 28, 2013). "Nicki Minaj Will 'Focus On Rap' For Upcoming Album". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved February 13, 2014.
- Conte, Richard (August 6, 2014). "Nicki Minaj Says There Will Be No Guest Features On 'The Pink Print'". Design & Trend. Retrieved August 9, 2014.
- "Nicki Minaj prepares 'next level' new album for 2014 release". NME. IPC Media. November 5, 2013. Retrieved February 17, 2014.
- "Nicki Minaj - Lookin Ass Nigga". WorldStarHipHop. February 12, 2014. Retrieved February 17, 2014.
- "Nicki Minaj Is ‘Obsessed’ With Jay Z, That’s Why She Named Her Album Pink Print". MTV News. Viacom. Retrieved May 30, 2014.
- Carl Williott (February 14, 2014). "Nicki Minaj’s ‘The Pink Print’ To Get A Surprise Release?". Idolator. Spin Media. Retrieved February 17, 2014.
- J, Miranda (June 2, 2014). "Nicki Minaj's 'The Pink Print' Will Be Released Before 'Tha Carter V'". XXL. Harris Publications. Retrieved August 9, 2014.
- Fleischer, Adam (August 5, 2014). "Nicki Minaj Gives The Pink Print A Release Date — Kind Of". MTV News. Viacom. Retrieved August 9, 2014.
- Markman, Rob (August 12, 2014). "Nicki Minaj Teases The Pinkprint Album Cover On New Wiz Khalifa Song". MTV News. Viacom. Retrieved August 14, 2014.
- "Nicki Minaj Reveals New Single Title at 2014 Billboard Music Awards". Billboard. Retrieved May 19, 2014.
- Frydenlund, Zach (August 4, 2014). "Watch a Preview of Nicki Minaj's "Anaconda" Video". Complex. Complex Media. Retrieved August 9, 2014.
- Blake, Emily (April 22, 2014). "Nicki Minaj Says 'Hell No' To Another 'Super Bass'". MTV News. Viacom. Retrieved August 9, 2014.
- Wete, Brad (June 29, 2014). "Nicki Minaj Brings 'Pills N Potions' to 2014 BET Awards". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved August 9, 2014.
- Nadeska, Alexis (July 24, 2014). "Nicki Minaj's 'Anaconda' Cover Art Has Us Screaming 'Holy G-String!'". MTV News. Viacom. Retrieved July 24, 2014.