- For other uses, see Plainclothes Man (disambiguation)
|Created by||Henry Opperman|
|Written by||Donald S. Sanford
|Directed by||Sean Dillon
|Country of origin||United States|
|Running time||30 minutes|
|Original run||October 12, 1949– September 12, 1954|
The series ran from 1949 to 1954, and was a detective show starring Ken Lynch, whose character was known only as "The Lieutenant". Uniquely on television, the main character's face was never seen on camera, as the series used the "point of view shot" technique.
The program, produced and distributed by DuMont, aired Wednesdays at 9 pm ET on most DuMont affiliates during the 1949-1950 season, on Wednesdays at 9:30 pm ET during 1950-1951, and Sundays at 9:30 pm ET during 1951-1952. The Plainclothesman was cancelled in 1954, with the last program airing on September 12.
Only around four episodes were preserved. One kinescoped episode of the series is held in the J. Fred MacDonald collection at the Library of Congress.
- List of programs broadcast by the DuMont Television Network
- List of surviving DuMont Television Network broadcasts
- 1949-50 United States network television schedule (Wednesdays at 9pm ET)
- 1950-51 United States network television schedule (Wednesdays at 9:30pm ET)
- 1951-52 United States network television schedule (Sundays at 9:30pm ET)
- 1952-53 United States network television schedule (Sundays at 9:30pm ET)
- 1953-54 United States network television schedule (Sundays at 9:30pm ET)
- McNeil, Alex (1980). Total Television (4th ed.). New York: Penguin Books. ISBN 0-14-024916-8.
- David Weinstein, The Forgotten Network: DuMont and the Birth of American Television (Philadelphia: Temple University Press, 2004) ISBN 1-59213-245-6
- Alex McNeil, Total Television, Fourth edition (New York: Penguin Books, 1980) ISBN 0-14-024916-8
- Tim Brooks and Earle Marsh, The Complete Directory to Prime Time Network TV Shows, Third edition (New York: Ballantine Books, 1964) ISBN 0-345-31864-1