The Plainsman (1966 film)
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||David Lowell Rich|
|Produced by||Richard E. Lyons|
|Written by||Michael Blankfort|
|Music by||John Williams|
|Editing by||Danny B. Landres
|Distributed by||Universal Pictures
NBC (Original Airing)
|Release dates||August, 1966|
|Running time||92 min.|
The Plainsman is a Technicolor remake of the 1936 Cecil B. DeMille western film of the same name. It stars Don Murray as Wild Bill Hickok, Guy Stockwell as Buffalo Bill Cody and Abby Dalton as Calamity Jane.
After being taken prisoner by Crazy Knife and a band of Cheyenne warriors, Wild Bill Hickok's life is spared by Chief Black Kettle, but when he is set free, it is without his horse and his boots.
Calamity Jane, driving a stagecoach, gives Hickok a ride back to the fort, where Lt. Stiles of the Army seems indifferent to Hickok's warning that the Cheyenne are now armed with repeater rifles. At the saloon, where Wild Bill renews an acquaintance with old friend Buffalo Bill, he spots a gambler named Lattimer cheating at poker and deals with him accordingly.
Crazy Knife and his men take Calamity Jane captive, and Lattimer turns out to be the one supplying them with the rifles. Hickok manages to save Jane, who loves him, and the fort ends up with a new officer in command, General Custer.
- Don Murray as Wild Bill Hickok
- Guy Stockwell as Buffalo Bill Cody
- Abby Dalton as Calamity Jane
- Bradford Dillman as Lieutenant Stiles
- Henry Silva as Crazy Knife
- Simon Oakland as Chief Black Kettle
- Leslie Nielsen as Colonel George Armstrong Custer
- Ed Binns as Lattimer
- Michael Evans as Estrick
- Percy Rodrigues as Brother John
- Terry Wilson as Sergeant Womack
- Walter Burke as Abe Ireland
- The Plainsman (1966 film) at the TCM Movie Database
- The Plainsman at the Internet Movie Database
- The Plainsman at allmovie
|This 1960s Western film–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|