The Platinum Rule (How I Met Your Mother)
|"The Platinum Rule"|
|How I Met Your Mother episode|
|Episode no.||Season 3
|Directed by||Pamela Fryman|
|Written by||Craig Thomas & Carter Bays|
|Original air date||December 10, 2007|
|Season 3 episodes|
"The Platinum Rule" is the 11th episode in the third season of the television series How I Met Your Mother and 55th overall. It originally aired on December 10, 2007.
It was the last episode to air before the 2007–08 Writers Guild of America strike meant production was suspended.
Ted announces to the group that he is planning on taking out his tattoo removal doctor to a movie and is immediately met with disapproval. Barney mentions the Golden Rule: Although it is known commonly from the Bible as the ethic of reciprocity ("Do unto to others as you would have them do unto you."), Barney's take on it is "Love thy neighbor," which would lead into his Platinum Rule as "Never ever, ever, ever love thy neighbor." His point was that one should never date someone seen on a regular basis, e.g. someone at the same workplace, a next door neighbor, etc. because such relationships never work out in the end and lead to never-ending suffering, as those involved would see each other constantly. Barney begins to outline the Platinum Rule in 8 steps as the group begins to recount on their past experiences against the Platinum Rule in attempt to persuade Ted not to go on his date. He uses examples of Marshall and Lily getting too close to a neighboring couple, Robin dating a fellow news anchor and himself sleeping with Wendy the Waitress at MacLarens Pub.
The eight steps of the process
- The Tipping Point
- Co-Existence (a ninth step suggested by Ted)
- When Barney overreacts to his break-up with Wendy, Ted can be seen wearing a Miles Davis shirt.
- When Robin talks about her hockey game date with Curt, she mentions Vancouver Canucks left wing Mason Raymond.
Donna Bowman of the AV Club rated the episode B+
|This section requires expansion. (April 2010)|
- How I Met Your Mother "The Platinum Rule" B+ by Donna Bowman December 10, 2007 http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-platinum-rule,12711/
- The Platinum Rule By Omar G | Season 3 | Episode 11 | Aired on 2007.12.10 http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com/show/how_i_met_your_mother/the_platinum_rule.php Pages 7