The Private Navy of Sgt. O'Farrell
|The Private Navy of Sgt. O'Farrell|
|Directed by||Frank Tashlin|
|Produced by||John Beck|
|Written by||Robert M. Fresco (story)
John L. Greene (story)
|Editing by||Eda Warren|
|Distributed by||United Artists|
|Running time||92 min.|
|Box office||$2,400,000 (US/ Canada)|
The Private Navy of Sgt. O'Farrell is a 1968 film directed by Frank Tashlin and starring Bob Hope, Phyllis Diller, and Jeffrey Hunter. The movie was filmed in Puerto Rico in 1967; it was originally to have been filmed in Hawaii, but due to the activity during the Vietnam War, the US Department of Defense who cooperated with the production, suggested the film move to the Caribbean.
This was the final film for Tashlin, who died in 1972.
Plot summary 
Master Sergeant Dan O'Farrell is a G.I. on an island somewhere in the South Pacific during World War II, bemoaning the consequences of a ship torpedoed while ferrying to the island a desperately needed cargo of beer.
Among his problems are the Navy personnel making life difficult for him and his Army buddies, an officer trying to emulate John Paul Jones, a hoped-for delivery of morale-boosting nurses turning out to be six men and the ugliest woman (Diller) ever to wilt a bouquet of flowers, and a Japanese soldier who has hiding from everyone else ... and hiding something else as well.
- Bob Hope as M/Sgt. Dan O'Farrell
- Phyllis Diller as Nurse Nellie Krause
- Jeffrey Hunter as Lt. (j.g.) Lyman P. Jones
- John Myhers as Lt. Cdr. Roger N. Snavely
- Mako as Calvin Coolidge Ishimura
- Henry Wilcoxon as RAdm. Arthur L. Stokes
- Dick Sargent as Capt. Elwood Prohaska
- Christopher Dark as Pvt. George Strongbow
- Michael Burns as Pvt. Johnny Bannon
- William Wellman Jr. as Cpl. Kennedy
- Robert Donner as Pvt. Ogg (USMC)
- Jack Grinnage as Pvt. Roberts
- William Christopher as Pvt. Jack Schultz
- Mylène Demongeot as Gaby
- Gina Lollobrigida as Maria
- John Spina as Cpl. Miller (uncredited)
- Bing Crosby (archive footage from Pennies from Heaven) (uncredited)
- Edith Fellows (archive footage from Pennies from Heaven) (uncredited)
- "Big Rental Films of 1968", Variety, 8 January 1969 p 15. Please note this figure is a rental accruing to distributors.
- The National Guardsman, Volume 21, National Guard Association of the United States, 1967, p. 44
- The Private Navy of Sgt. O'Farrell at the Internet Movie Database
- "http://www.flickr.com/photos/tlehman/1556594900/". Flickr.com; filming in Puerto Rico at Camp Tortuguero.
- "http://www.dutchmansdock.com/bhope1176a.jpg.jpg". Dutchman's Dock; filming in Puerto Rico at Naval Station San Juan.
|This article about a war film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|