The Promise (When in Rome song)
|Single by When in Rome|
|from the album When in Rome|
|Released||May 3, 1988|
|Genre||New Wave, synthpop, dance|
|Writer(s)||Clive Farrington, Michael Floreale, Andrew Mann|
|When in Rome singles chronology|
"The Promise" is a song by British New Wave/pop band When in Rome. It was released in 1988 as the lead single from their self-titled debut album. The song was written by all three band members Clive Farrington, Andrew Mann and Michael Floreale. The song made the top 20 on the US Billboard Hot 100 chart and is the band's biggest commercial hit. The song closed the movie Napoleon Dynamite in the scene where Deb and Napoleon play tetherball and the ending credits start to roll.
William Cooper of Allmusic spoke of the song in a review of the When in Rome album, writing, "The 1988 hit "The Promise" was essentially a carbon copy of New Order's radio-friendly dance-rock. Dark yet catchy, boasting a throbbing dance rhythm, a singalong chorus, and a hypnotic melody, 'The Promise' certainly deserved the success." Cooper also highlighted "The Promise" as a standout on the album by labeling it an AMG Pick Track.
On January 22, 1989, a review of the album was published in the daily issue of the Daily Union. The review mentioned the song, saying, "'The Promise', a hit in Great Britain, is typical. Starting with a piano that picks out the melody, the song throbs along electronically with clear harmonies of Mann and Farrington piercing through the catchy melody."
"The Promise" was initially released as a 12" record and reached the top of the Hot Dance Music/Club Play chart. After the release of the group's self-titled debut album, the song was re-released and peaked at number 11 on the Billboard Hot 100. However, the single was less successful in the band's native Britain, reaching number 58.
|UK Singles (The Official Charts Company)||58|
|US Billboard Hot 100||11|
|US Billboard Dance/Club Play Songs Chart||1|
|US Billboard Hot Dance Music/Maxi-Singles Sales Chart||19|
"Divine Emotions" by Narada
|Billboard Hot Dance Club Play number-one single
June 11, 1988
"Just Got Paid" by Johnny Kemp
- The band Blue October has covered the song on several occasions.
- The band Hey Mercedes covered the song as a hidden track on their 2002 EP The Weekend EP.
- The Eyeliners released a more punk oriented version on their 2005 album No Apologies.
- Anberlin released a cover of the song on a special edition of their 2007 album Cities, as well as on their b-sides album, Lost Songs.
- New Found Glory covered this song on their album From the Screen to Your Stereo Part II.
- The female electro duo Marsheaux covered it on their 2007 album Peekaboo.
- Holly Miranda covered the song on her EP Choose to See, which was included with the purchase of her 2010 album The Magician's Private Library.
- Reel Big Fish covered the song on their 2012 album Candy Coated Fury.
- Cooper, William. "When in Rome - When in Rome : Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards". AllMusic. Retrieved 2012-09-29.
- "The Official Charts Company - The Promise by When In Rome Search". The Official Charts Company. 6 May 2013.
- When in Rome. "When in Rome - Awards". AllMusic. Retrieved 2012-08-19.
- "Holly Miranda - Choose To See EP (CD) at Discogs". Discogs (Zink Media, Inc.). Retrieved 2010-08-24.