The Punisher: No Mercy
|The Punisher: No Mercy|
|Publisher(s)||Sony Computer Entertainment|
|Engine||Unreal Engine 3|
|Release date(s)||July 2, 2009|
The Punisher: No Mercy is a first person shooter video game that was released exclusive on July 2, 2009 to the PSN Store. The game was quietly pulled from PSN as of 2011.
The game is an arena based first person shooter, with four arenas available at launch including New York, Docks and Factories. The player is able to carry three weapons at a time to convey a sense of realism. The story mode consists of four matches played on different maps with different game types. Before playing, players are required to select a mode which will advantage the player. The game includes local multiplayer and online play, which contains deathmatch, one vs many and co-op. The player is not able to drive vehicles. There is a total of eight playable characters, each with their own unique abilities. The single-player game mode includes story scenes featuring original artwork by Mike Deodato.
The game holds an aggregated rating of 47% at Metacritic based on 30 reviews. Gamespot awarded The Punisher: No Mercy 4.5/10, criticizing the game's short length and difficulty of unlocking. IGN awarded it 4.2/10, concluding "The Punisher: No Mercy is a pretty bad game all around. (...) There's just not really anything to like here, unfortunately." PlayStation Official Magazine UK, however, awarded the game 7/10, stating "It's definitely playable, and a respectable value at a penny under seven quid." The games highest rating came from thesixthaxis.com, who gave the game a score of 8/10, concluding "Its replay value is extremely high, and although you’ll unlikely play it for huge stretches of time a couple of rounds with a few friends is incredibly entertaining."
- Kigyossy, Zsolt (September 23, 2008). "The Punisher: No Mercy Coming Exclusively to PSN". PlayStation.Blog. Retrieved March 28, 2013.
- "The Punisher: No Mercy Exclusive Q&A - First Details". Gamespot. September 23, 2008. Retrieved March 25, 2013.
- "The Punisher: No Mercy". Metacritic. Retrieved March 25, 2013.
- Roper, Chris (July 6, 2009). "The Punisher: No Mercy Review". IGN. Retrieved March 25, 2013.
- "Review: The Punisher: No Mercy". thesixthaxis.com. July 7, 2009. Retrieved May 8, 2010.