The Rainmaker (1956 film)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2009)|
|Directed by||Joseph Anthony|
|Produced by||Hal B. Wallis|
|Written by||N. Richard Nash|
|Music by||Alex North|
|Distributed by||Paramount Pictures|
|Release dates||December 13, 1956|
|Running time||121 minutes|
|Box office||$2.1 million (US)|
The Rainmaker is an American 1956 film directed by Joseph Anthony and adapted by N. Richard Nash from his play The Rainmaker. The film tells the story of a middle-aged woman, suffering from unrequited love for the local town sheriff; however, she falls for a con man who comes to town with the promise that he can make it rain. It stars Burt Lancaster, Katharine Hepburn, Wendell Corey, Lloyd Bridges and Earl Holliman.
During the Depression era in the Midwest, con man Bill Starbuck acts as a rainmaker, but is chased out of town after town. One day, he arrives in a drought-ridden rural town in Kansas and showed up at the door of spinsterish Lizzie Curry and the rest of the Curry clan. Lizzie keeps house for her father, H.C., and two brothers on the family cattle ranch. As their farm languishes under the devastating drought, Lizzie's family worries about her marriage prospects more than about their dying cattle. Prior to Starbucks' arrival, Lizzie was expecting Sheriff File, for whom she harbors a secret yen, though he declined the family's invitation to dinner. Starbuck promises to bring rain in exchange for $100 ($833 in 2013 dollars). Against Lizzie's protests, H.C. goes for the deal out of desperation for rain even though he thinks Starbuck is a con.
- Best Actress: Katharine Hepburn
- Best Music (Scoring of a Dramatic or Comedy Picture): Alex North
- "Top Grosses of 1957", Variety, 8 January 1958: 30
- http://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm BLS Inflation Calculator
- "The 29th Academy Awards (1956) Nominees and Winners". Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Retrieved 2014-03-12.
- The Rainmaker at the Internet Movie Database
- The Rainmaker at the TCM Movie Database
- The Rainmaker at AllMovie
- The Rainmaker at the American Film Institute Catalog