The Real News
||This article uses bare URLs for citations, which may be threatened by link rot. (September 2014)|
|The Real News|
|Owned by||Paul Jay (CEO and Senior Editor)|
|Slogan||"The future depends on knowing"|
|Country||USA and Canada (main, also studios in other countries)|
|Broadcast area||Global (World Wide Web)|
|Headquarters||Baltimore, MD and Toronto, Canada|
The Real News is a member-supported, global online video news network. Launched in 2007 by Paul Jay, the CEO, host and senior editor, The Real News Network describes itself as "focused on providing independent and uncompromising journalism", on "the critical issues of our times".
The Real News Network uses internet broadcasting, but it has contracts with satellite and cable television channels which it intends to use for broadcast once it reaches its first sustainability goal of 50,000 supporters. The Real News has offices in Baltimore and Toronto.
The stated goal of The Real News is to provide "independent and uncompromising" verifiable worldwide coverage of "the critical issues of our times". They also note an expectation that bias will affect the elements of the stories they choose to highlight. On August 10, 2008, Daljit Dhaliwal interviewed Paul Jay on Foreign Exchange PBS on which Jay stated that he founded the network, primarily, to counter the dominant news style that had emerged in the industry.
The Real News also operates forums where their work can be debated and criticized, purportedly to remain aware of their own biases.
The Real News relies exclusively on donations by supporters, and does not accept funding from advertising, government, or corporations.
The Real News features experienced professional journalists from all over the world. It is planning to host reports from volunteer-based citizen journalism in a dedicated portion of the network's website.
Analysts, Journalists and contributors:
- CEO and Senior Editor: Paul Jay
- Journalist and Executive Producer: Sharmini Peries
- Main journalists: Lia Tarachansky, the Israel and Palestine correspondent is a Russian-Israeli journalist and filmmaker, whose latest film is On The Side Of The Road. Jessica Desvarieux – Host, Producer, and D.C. Correspondent, Jaisal Noor – Host, Producer, and Reporter, Anton Woronczuk – Producer, Host, and Copy Editor
The Real News frequently interviews economists, politicians and policy experts about breaking news.
Some notable guests The Real News Network have interviewed include: Bill Black, Zbigniew Brzezinski, Noam Chomsky, Donna Edwards, James Galbraith, Leo Gerard, Danny Glover, Chris Hedges, Ed Herman, Dennis Kucinich, Norman Lear, Andre Marin, Ray McGovern, Ralph Nader, Rand Paul, Ron Paul, Susan Rice, Gore Vidal, Antonio Villaraigosa, Larry Wilkerson, and Howard Zinn.
The Real News Network also works with the Political Economy Research Institute (PERI) at University of Massachusetts Amherst, producing regular interviews and debates. These are aimed to "bring current economic issues into focus", by surveying "the full range of potential solutions to the current economic crisis, the economics of climate change, and PERI's long-term mission of bringing economic tools to bear to improve the daily lives of workers and families around the world".
The Real News Network has partnered with Earthbeat Radio to produce video content to accompany Earthbeat's radio broadcast. Earthbeat host Daphne Wysham conducts interviews and produces content about environmental issues.
- Independent media
- American News Project
- Watchdog journalism
- Corporate media
- Alternative media
- Citizen journalism
- "Our Mission". therealnews.com. Retrieved 2014-09-13.
- Paul Jay "Reality asserts itself", November 3, 2008
- The Real News "(Contact Us")
- "Our Mission: Bias, Accountability and Transparency". The Real news network.
- The Real News featured on PBS Foreign Exchange August 10, 2008
- Interview with Paul Jay by AlanF at Daily Kos, Jan 06, 2007]
- Michael Dwyer (journalist) "News without the sponsors", The Age, August 16, 2007
- "GOLDMAN 'TOO BIG TO PROSECUTE'". therealnews.com. Retrieved 2014-09-13.
- "Zbigniew Brzezinski on Iran". therealnews.com. Retrieved 2014-09-13.
- "Zinn: Vote for Obama but direct action needed". therealnews.com. Retrieved 2014-09-13.
- "Van Jones and Who's Next". therealnews.com. Retrieved 2014-09-13.
- "James Galbraith on the election and the recession". therealnews.com. Retrieved 2014-09-13.
- "USW president supports single-payer health care". therealnews.com. Retrieved 2014-09-13.
- "Danny Glover on Obama as the lesser of two evils". therealnews.com. Retrieved 2014-09-13.
- "Urban Poverty in America Made Me Question Everything - Chris Hedges on Reality Asserts Itself pt1". therealnews.com. Retrieved 2014-09-13.
- Ed Herman, The Real News
- http://therealnews.com/t2/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&Itemid=74&jumival=6616 Paul Jay Interviews Denis Kucinich about intervention in Libya, April 13, 2011
- http://therealnews.com/t2/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&Itemid=74&jumival=6593 Paul Jay Interviews Denis Kucinich about Obama's Economic Policy, April 13, 2011
- "Norman Lear on God, patriotism and morality". therealnews.com. Retrieved 2014-09-13.
- "Thousands of G-20 Detentions Illegal: Ontario Ombudsman". therealnews.com. Retrieved 2014-09-13.
- "Ex-CIA Ray McGovern on Obama's 'new world'". therealnews.com. Retrieved 2014-09-13.
- "Ron Paul says it's time to end the empire". therealnews.com. Retrieved 2014-09-13.
- "Ron Paul's son says it's all about the war". therealnews.com. Retrieved 2014-09-13.
- "Barack Obama's foreign policy". therealnews.com. Retrieved 2014-09-13.
- "Gore Vidal on the media". therealnews.com. Retrieved 2014-09-13.
- "LA mayor supports Clinton". therealnews.com. Retrieved 2014-09-13.
- "Wilkerson: For Truth, Justice and the American Way". therealnews.com. Retrieved 2014-09-13.
- "PERI: PERI Multimedia". peri.umass.edu. Retrieved 2014-09-13.
- "About - Earthbeat Radio". earthbeatradio.org. Retrieved 2014-09-13.
- Official website
- The Real News on YouTube.com
- Most Media Won't Address The Issue Of Class - TRNN Will (2014-06-13). Paul Jay explains the key differences between The Real News and the mainstream media (MSM) in funding sources, coverage of issues of socio-economic class, self-interest of TRNN and MSM journalists, institutional interest of TRNN and MSM reporters, etc