|Origin||California, United States|
|Genres||Hip hop, electronic|
|Associated acts||Chris Brown|
The Rej3ctz are an American hip-hop and electronic music group that originated from California's party scene, and rose to prominence in late 2010 with their single "Cat Daddy", and its eponymous dance, which became a viral phenomenon, reaching more than 70 million views on YouTube.
The group hit the music scene in 2008 with their underground hit "Rej3ct Stomp", and later with a dance called "Rej3ct". Their second record, "I'm Fitted", sampled Kris Kross song "Jump", which reached No.1 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1992. The viral video for the song, which the group stated "showcased their eccentric style, comedy and individual characters", have reached over 200,000 hits on YouTube. The group made their television debut on BET's 106 & Park 10th Anniversary Special alongside Chris Brown. They have also appeared on The Mo'Nique Show.
The group rose to prominence in late 2010 when they released the single "Cat Daddy". The music video for the song, which promoted the dance of the same name, featured American artist Chris Brown. The song became a viral phenomenon, with the video reaching over 70 million views on YouTube, and the single charting at No.97 on the Billboard Hot 100. It also appeared at No.77 on the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart. According to Thomas Clayton of The Daily Rind, the song had 14,000 downloads on iTunes in its first week and the video had 9 million pageviews at the time.
Kate Upton, who in February 2012 was the cover model for the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue, recorded a video of the Dougie that went viral and garnered over 5 million hits in April 2011. She announced her intention to release a video performance of the Cat Daddy when she served as Grand Marshal for the 2012 Daytona 500. The video of Upton dancing on a break between photo shots was posted online on April 30. After garnering close to 1 million hits in the first 24 hours, YouTube banned her version of the dance from their site for being too risqué, but it was restored later with an age restriction.
|Single||Year||Peak chart positions||Album|
|"Cat Daddy"||2011||97||77||12||TheFUNKtion vs theKICKback|
|"C.R.E.E.Z. - SWAG IS DEAD"||2012||–||–||–||CREEZTAPE|
|"PETA GRIFIN"||2013||–||–||–||Peta Grifin -Single|
|"All That (feat. The Rej3ctz & Twista"||2014||–||–||–||Dillon Francis - Money Sucks, Friends Rule|
|"–" denotes items which were not released in that country or failed to chart.|
- "Rej3ctz — Bio". The Rej3ctz Official Website. Retrieved 20 June 2012.
- Billboard Allmusic.com (Retrieved December 15, 2007)
- "Rej3ctz Music Video "I'm Fitted"". YouTube. Google, Inc. Retrieved 20 June 2012.
- "Chris Brown Performs Cat Daddy "Dougie" On 106 & Park". WPHI-FM/Interactive One. 2010-10-08. Retrieved 2012-05-04.
- "Chris Brown Performs Cat Daddy "Dougie" On 106 & Park". Hello Beautiful/Interactive One. 2010-10-08. Retrieved 2012-05-04.
- "The Mo'Nique Show: The Rej3ctz Movement". BET Interactive. Black Entertainment Television LLC. Retrieved 20 June 2012.
- Clayton, Thomas (2011-02-24). "Do The Cat Daddy; Rej3ctz Are Blowing Up Thanks to Chris Brown". The Daily Rind. Orchard Enterprises NY, Inc. Retrieved 2012-05-04.
- DiGiacomo, Frank (2012-05-03). "Kate Upton bounces back after YouTube restores her sexy 'Cat Daddy' dance video: Swimsuit supermodel grabs hundreds of thousands of hits with superjiggly bikini video". Daily News. Retrieved 2012-05-03.
- Kate Upton, Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Model, Does 'The Dougie', Huffington Post, 5 April 2011.
- "Kate Upton Does The Dougie At A Clippers Game", Total Pro Sports, accessed June 16, 2011.
- Long, Mark (2012-02-26). "Fox to begin contract negotiations with NASCAR". Associated Press. Retrieved 2012-05-03.
She really could have turned things up a notch had she decided to dance. Last year, a video of Upton dancing the 'Dougie' at a Los Angeles Clippers game went viral and increased her popularity. 'I learned a new one, the 'Cat Daddy,'' Upton told The Associated Press. 'I can't wait to throw that one out. I did it the other day on a shoot in my cover bikini, so who knows.'(subscription required)
- Donnelly, Matt (2012-05-03). "Kate Upton: 3 days in the life of the 'cat daddy' video scandal". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2012-05-04.
- Jones-Cooper, Brittany (2012-05-02). "Kate Upton, Justin Bieber, and More Stars Who ‘Cat Daddy’ (VIDEO)". The Daily Beast. Retrieved 2012-05-03.
- McKay, Hollie (2012-05-03). "Mistakes Were Made: YouTube sorry for banning video of Kate Upton dirty dancing". Fox News. Retrieved 2012-05-04.
- "Rej3ctz Official Website." Rej3ctz Official Website. Ed. JRH Entertainment. 1 Jan. 2011. Web. 31 Oct. 2014.
- Piff, Dat. "Rej3ctz - CR33ZTAPE." Rej3ctz CR33ZTAPE - Rated R. Idle Media Inc., 14 Nov. 2011. Web. 31 Oct. 2014.
- "Cat Daddy – Rej3ctz". Billboard (Prometheus Global Media). Retrieved on 21 May 2012.