The Republic (Columbus, Indiana)
|Owner(s)||Home News Enterprises|
|Founded||April 4, 1872The Columbus Republican, as|
|Headquarters||333 Second Street,
Columbus, Indiana 47201, United States
|Circulation||21,500 daily in 2012|
The parent company's current president, Jeffrey N. Brown, is the great-grandson of Isaac T. Brown, who founded The Columbus Republican, a weekly newspaper, in 1872. The first issue was published on Thursday, April 4, 1872. Isaac's father, Isaac M. Brown, served as the newspaper's editor. The Browns converted their newspaper to daily publication November 12, 1877, under the name Columbus Evening Republican. The newspaper's name was shortened to The Republic in January 1967.
Isaac T. Brown died in 1917, leaving his son Raymond Brown in sole control of the newspaper. It has stayed in the Brown family ever since; its current owner Home News Enterprises is a partnership established by Brown family members in 1994.
Over the past 50 years, The Republic has become the flagship newspaper of a chain of dailies and weeklies in Indiana, including several that adjoin The Republic's coverage area. Robert N. Brown, Raymond's son, in 1963 founded the Daily Journal in Johnson County, which borders Bartholomew County to the north. The company expanded its footprint in the Columbus area twice more in the 21st century, purchasing the weekly Brown County Democrat in 2002, and The Tribune daily in Jackson County (immediately south of Bartholomew County) in 2012.
- "About The Columbus Republican". Chronicling America. Library of Congress. Retrieved June 19, 2012.
- "Freedom Sells Ind. Daily to Home News". NewsInc. (via HighBeam Research). January 16, 2012. Retrieved June 14, 2012. (subscription required)
- "Mission & History". DailyJournal.net. Retrieved June 15, 2012.
- "About The Republic". Chronicling America. Library of Congress. Retrieved June 19, 2012.
- "Company Overview". Brown County Democrat. Retrieved June 15, 2012.
- "HNE Purchases Seymour Tribune". Hoosier State Press Association. January 12, 2012. Retrieved June 15, 2012.