The Riddle (film)
|Directed by||Brendan Foley|
|Produced by||Peter Burrell
|Written by||Brendan Foley|
The Riddle is a Brendan Foley film released in 2007.
When a woman is murdered following her discovery of an unpublished Charles Dickens manuscript, an unusual trio team up to investigate. The three are Mike (Jones), an ambitious sports reporter determined to make a name for himself, Kate (Cox), a police officer, and an eccentric old man (Jacobi). Together they must track down the mystery and we are taken back to the world of Charles Dickens. Only when they solve the riddle of the manuscript are they able to solve the present day crime, but they must also face opposers: a greedy detective (Moriarty), a publisher (Redgrave), and a ruthless construction company owner (Flemyng).
- Vinnie Jones as Mike Sullivan
- Derek Jacobi as The Tramp / (19th century) Charles Dickens
- Julie Cox as Kate Merril
- Vanessa Redgrave as Roberta Elliot
- Jason Flemyng as Don Roberts
- P. H. Moriarty as D.I. Willis / (19th century) Constable Frederick
- Clemmie Myers as "Margot"/Tiffany / (19th century) Alice Abercrombie
- Mel Smith as Professor Cranshaw
The Riddle shot at Sittingbourne Greyhounds Racing Track and Chislehurst Caves in Bromley.
The film was released as a World Exclusive Premiere promotion, and came free inside the Mail on Sunday, on September 16, 2007. The promotional DVD contains a trailer for Bog Bodies, an upcoming film also directed by Brendan Foley.
- http://kentfilmoffice.co.uk/2007/09/the-riddle-2007/ Kent Film Office The Riddle Film Focus
- Free DVD inside the Mail on Sunday