The Ride (2010 film)
|Directed by||Meredith Danluck|
|Music by||The Weight|
|Running time||91 min|
The Ride is a documentary on professional bull riders. It was produced by Vice Media and directed by Meredith Danluck, after originally being created for VBS.tv. It premiered at the SXSW Film Festival in 2010.
With event footage, bull riding, pyrotechnics, and big arena rock and roll, The Ride goes through the lives of professional cowboys on the Professional Bull Riders' circuit. The circuit is a tour of the top 45 bull riders in the world, consisting of roughly 32 stops a year around the US. The winner of the world title in Vegas also wins a million dollars.
- JB Mauney - professional bull rider
- Willy Ropp - Amish bull rider
- Flint Rassmussen - PBR entertainer
- Shorty Gorham - bull fighter
- Leann Hart - singer songwriter
- Tom Teague - millionaire bucking bull breeder
Filmed in in Spring of 2008, it has an original score by Brooklyn band The Weight. Director Meredith Danluck and DP Jake Burghart both previously worked on the VBS.tv showcase entitled Toxic Garbage Island. It was produced by VICE Films as a presentation of a Jeff Yapp production.
It premiered in March 2010 at the SXSW Film Festival. According to a review in the Austinist, "People are the soul of a well-told story and Danluck is enamored with her down-home characters at the expense of a deeper look at the sport, its history and rules. Danluck’s not-quite-novel glimpses into rural southern culture eclipse the beautifully shot ringside action. She’s hooked on the rugged romance of cowboydom, from cattle to Coors, and less transfixed by the intricacies that lead these people into the bull’s eye."
- "Interview: VICE’s Jesse Pearson on Where the Wild Things Are, Spike Jonze, and the Future of VICE Films & VBS.TV". /Film.
- "Vice Film’s "The Ride" Saddles Up Bulls and Winnebagos on a Cowboy Cross-Country Quest". Museyon Guides. February 19, 2010. Retrieved 2013-08-12.
- "The Ride". TwitchFilm. March 2010. Retrieved 2013-08-12.
- "SXSW Movie Trailer and Preview: The Ride (An Exclusive Look at VICE Films’ Take on the Modern American Cowboy)". Slashfilm. Retrieved 2013-08-28.
- "Review: "The Ride"". Variety. April 1, 2010. Retrieved 2013-08-12.
- Garcia, Chris (March 12, 2010). "SXSW Film Interview: Meredith Danluck Want to Take You For a Ride". Austinist. Retrieved 2013-08-12.
|This article about a sports-related documentary film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|