The Rill Thing
|The Rill Thing|
|Studio album by Little Richard|
|Recorded||11 March 1970 - 2 June 1970|
|Little Richard chronology|
The Rill Thing was Little Richard's comeback album after three years away. Utilising yet another new sound, the largely swamp rock album contained Little Richard's biggest post-Specialty single in "Freedom Blues", which broke the Billboard top 50, and a lesser success with the follow-up single, "Greenwood, Mississippi", which made the top 90. The title track itself was a ten minute plus instrumental penned by Richard. Despite the success of the two tracks as singles and the inclusion of two cover versions, the album itself failed to chart.
Between the release of The Rill Thing and Little Richard's last album Little Richard's Greatest Hits: Recorded Live! (1967) there had been several album releases, but all were repackaged collections of songs that had already been released previously, including some of his Specialty work.
The release of the album came less than a year after Richard's performance at Atlantic City Pop Festival, and with "Freedom Blues" he had his first hit single in thirteen years. This period was shortly before reported usage of cocaine  and concerts to promote the album on the back of the single were increasingly erratic; though he made a memorable visit to Madison Square Garden in October 1970. After the album failed to chart, Richard returned to the studios in May 1971 to produce a follow-up for Reprise with a more "teen" sound.
- "Freedom Blues" (Richard Penniman, Esquerita) - 3:01
- "Greenwood, Mississippi" (Richard Penniman, Esquerita, Keith Winslow) – 3:32
- "Two-Time Loser" (Larry Lee) – 3:20
- "Dew Drop Inn" (Richard Penniman, Esquerita, Keith Winslow) – 2:41
- "Somebody Saw You" (Richard Penniman) – 3:39
- "Spreadin' Natta, What's The Matter?" (Richard Penniman, Robert "Bumps" Blackwell, Maybelle Jackson) – 4:37
- "Rill Thing" (Richard Penniman) – 10:27
- "Lovesick Blues" (Hank Williams) – 4:34
- "I Saw Her Standing There" (John Lennon, Paul McCartney) – 3:31
Rest of personnel unknown, records not kept by Reprise.
- Little Richard – vocals, piano
- Harrison Callay - trumpet
- Ronnie Eader - baritone saxophone
- Harry Thompson - tenor saxophone
- Charles Rose - trombone
- Clayton Ivey - piano
- Jerry Masters - bass
- Travis Womack - guitar
- Albert Lowe - guitar
- Roger Hawkins - drums
- Eddie Fletcher - bass
- Wade Jackson - tenor saxophone
|1970||Billboard Pop Albums||Did not chart|
|1970||Freedom Blues/Dew Drop Inn||Billboard Hot 100/ Cashbox Top 100/ 'Billboard R & B Chart||47/ 62/ 28|
|1970||Greenwood, Mississippi/I Saw Her Standing There||Billboard Hot 100/ Cashbox Top 100||85/ 96|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to The Rill Thing.|
- White, Charles. (2003). The Life and Times of Little Richard: The Authorised Biography. Omnibus Press.