The River Niger is a play by American playwright Joseph A. Walker, first performed by New York City's Negro Ensemble Company off-Broadway in 1972. The production made its Broadway debut with a transfer to the Brooks Atkinson Theatre on 27 March 1973 for a run of 162 performances.
- Mattie Williams
- Johnny Williams
- Dr. Dudley Stanton
- Jeff Williams
- Ann Vanderguild
- Big Moe Hayes
- Wilhelmina Brown
The play was adapted by Walker for film in 1976, directed by Krishna Shah starring Cicely Tyson and James Earl Jones.
Awards and nominations
- 1973 Drama Desk Award for Most Promising Playwright - Joseph A. Walker
- 1973 Obie Award for Best American Play
- 1974 Tony Award for Best Play
- 1974 Tony Award for Actor - Douglas Turner Ward
- 1974 Tony Award for Best Featured Actress - Roxie Roker