The Roly Mo Show
The Roly Mo Show is a CBeebies children's television series featuring a cast of puppets; it is a spin-off from the Fimbles show and was created by Novel Entertainment. There are 100 episodes of 15 minutes in length.
The show first started on 13 June 2004 and ended on 8 April 2005. The protagonist is Roly Mo, voiced by Wayne Forester, a green and purple striped mole who lives underground and likes to read books. Roly Mo was a regular storyteller character in the better known Fimbles show, and The Roly Mo Show draws heavily on this. The show is noted for its particularly gentle and pleasant characters and plots.
Each episode follows a general format.
- It starts with Little Bo and Bessie Bird (Norman) visiting Roly Mo after school. She hangs up her rucksack and hat and goes down the slide into the main part of Roly's house.
- One of the characters has a problem; this is the main plot element throughout the episode.
- Someone reads a story from Roly Mo's library, preceded by the "Inside a book" song. Most of the time this is Roly, although sometimes this is Little Bo, Rockit, Yugo and Migo or a combination. The story is related to the problem and often gives an idea for its solution.
- Little Bo looks in her 'Busy Book', starting the segment of an animated Fimble solving an educational puzzle.
- The problem is solved, often with a song.
- The show closes with voice-overs during the credits, and is often humorous or providing further closure.
- Little Bo - a younger and highly intelligent mole. Little Bo has pink and purple stripes, and is Roly's niece. Little Bo is voiced by Tamsin Heatley.
- Yugo and Migo - Yugo and Migo are Snoots; orange and yellow fox-like characters. Yugo is striped and Migo is spotted. They are slightly dim and manic, and probably created for the amusement of younger viewers.
- "I'll be back in a Roly Mo!"
- "It's been a Roly Moly day!"
- "Lets roll like Roly Mo!"
- "Story-time with Roly Mo! Our favourite time of day!"
- Migo: Yugo!
both: We-go!!! AMIGO!!!!
(brief burst of Mexican-style music)
both: Let's A-GO-GO!
The first half of series One first started on 13 June 2004 to 16 July 2004 it had a seven week break and resumed on 6 September 2004- 8 October 2004 with another 25 episodes.
Series 2 started on 10 January 2005- 11 February 2005 with 25 episodes, it resumed on 7 March 2005 with another 25 episodes up until 8 April 2005 where the series ended.
References in other media
Roly Mo has been referred to 3 times in Horrid Henry.
The Weakest Link
on 28 December 2007, Roly Mo appeared in a special puppet edition of The Weakest Link. presented by Anne Robinson at 1800GMT on BBC1, However he was voted off in the fifth round. Prior to the fourth round, at Anne's and the audience's request, he led the other puppets in a rendition of his "Inside a Book" song.
- Royal Television Society Educational Television Awards 2004
- Nominated for Best Early Years Programme
- Royal Television Society Educational Television Awards 2005
- Nominated for Best Schools Programme - 0-5 Years (for the episode Imagine)
- "Royal Television Society - Educational Television Awards 2004". Royal Television Society. Retrieved 17 March 20105.
- "Royal Television Society - Educational Television Awards 2005". Royal Television Society. Retrieved 17 March 2010.