The Rotunda (Baltimore)
|Location||Baltimore, Maryland, United States|
|Address||711 W. 40th Street|
|No. of anchor tenants||1|
|Total retail floor area||140,800 sq. ft.|
The Rotunda is a shopping mall in Baltimore, Maryland, located near the renowned neighborhoods of Roland Park, Hampden, and Medfield, and near Johns Hopkins University. The mall was developed by Bernard Manekin who converted the 1920s Maryland Casualty Insurance Co. building, designed by Otto Simonson, into a shopping center in 1971. The mall's centerpiece is a bell tower which chimes the Westminster Quarters. It was renovated in 2002.
Giant Food closed their Rotunda location on March 29, 2012 and opened a new branch the same day at Green Spring Tower Shopping Center. In 2013 Hair Cuttery and Radio Shack joined Giant at Greenspring and Casa Mia's Pizza closed until 2014, leaving only Rite Aid.
The Social Security office is located on the fourth floor.
The rest of the offices house lawyers, dentists, sports physicians, a dyslexia tutoring program, mental health professionals and various other specialists.
The Rotunda has been neglected for the past several decades. The mall was bought by Hekemian & Co., Inc. in the 2000s.
Hekemian is currently working toward a planned $100 million redevelopment of the site, which would include up to 300 apartments, several shops and restaurants, and a boutique grocer. Hekemian is expected to have a grocer lined up by summer 2012, though the store would likely not open until the redevelopment is complete.
- The Rotunda's official web site
- The Rotunda;s official Facebook page
- The Rotunda's official Twitter feed
- The Rotunda on Google Street View
- Baltimore County Public Library Legacy Web. External.bcpl.lib.md.us. Retrieved on 2011-03-02.
- Real estate developer Bernard Manekin remembered as man whose 'word was his bond' | Baltimore Business Journal. Baltimore.bizjournals.com. Retrieved on 2011-03-02.
- For Rotunda, a timely facelift to return its toll – Baltimore Sun. Articles.baltimoresun.com (2002-01-07). Retrieved on 2011-03-02.
- No, Dorret. (2009-08-23) 216/365 – solitude | Flickr – Photo Sharing!. Flickr. Retrieved on 2011-03-02.
- Rotunda theater up and running first-run movies. Explore Baltimore County (1974-09-13). Retrieved on 2011-03-02.