The Royal Parks
|Department for Culture, Media and Sport|
The agency's primary focus is on management and conservation of the 1976 hectares of Royal Parks. The agency runs programmes of activities and events to encourage outdoor recreation and public access to these areas. It also allows third parties to run such activities within the grounds to further these objectives, but commercial activity is tightly controlled.
The Royal Parks also regulates filming, audio recording and the taking of photographs in these areas for anything other than personal use through the issuing of licences. It also issues news permits to the media for the specific purpose of covering breaking news items relating to the Parks. Holders of the licences and permits are required to comply with the following pieces of legislation:
- The Royal Parks and Other Open Spaces Regulations 1997
- Royal Parks and Other Open Spaces (Amendment) Regulations 2004
GreenFleet Awards 2005
In September 2005, the agency was awarded the EST Best Practice (Public Sector) Award at the GreenFleet Awards. The awards recognise achievements in green fuels and alternative transport technologies. The agency negotiated a contract for the installation of LPG fuel bunkers and the supply of fuel in four of the parks under its remit. Each new contract awarded by The Royal Parks requires the contractor to use green fuel.
In 2010 Mayor of London Boris Johnson proposed that control over the Royal Parks should be devolved to the Greater London Authority and the government put forward proposals for that to happen later on that year. The plan was welcomed by Royal Parks but has not yet been implemented.
- http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200102/cmhansrd/vo020207/text/20207w18.htm Written answer to the House of Commons] from the Head of the Royal Parks Service, 7 February 2002
- "The Royal Parks and Other Open Spaces Regulations 1997". www.opsi.gov.uk. Office of Public Sector Information. Retrieved 2 November 2006.
- "Royal Parks and Other Open Spaces (Amendment) Regulations 2004". www.opsi.gov.uk. Office of Public Sector Information. Retrieved 2 November 2006.
- "Success for LPG Users at Green Fleet Awards". www.conocophillips.co.uk. ConocoPhillips. Archived from the original on 21 October 2006. Retrieved 2 November 2006.