The Saratov Approach
|The Saratov Approach|
|Directed by||Garrett Batty|
|Produced by||Garrett Batty
Jake Van Wagoner
|Written by||Garrett Batty|
|Music by||Robert Allen Elliott|
|Editing by||Connor O'Malley|
|Studio||Three Coin Productions
|Running time||107 minutes|
The Saratov Approach is an 2013 dramatic thriller film about a 1998 kidnapping of two Mormon missionaries in Russia. It entered a limited release on October 9, 2013, in Utah. The success of the film means that it is now released in the entire Mormon Corridor. On January 10, 2014, the film entered a limited released in the entire nation, and has received both critical and commercial success.
The movie is about the 1998 kidnapping of the two Mormon missionaries, Andrew Lee Propst and Travis Robert Tuttle in Saratov, Russia. The kidnappers wanted US$300,000 ransom from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. For five days the two missionaries were handcuffed and held captive in a small room. When no ransom materialized, the men were driven to a field and released.
The Salt Lake Tribune praised the film. It was also praised by Deseret News and Meridian Magazine. The Standard-Examiner called this film "one of the best in the Mormon film genre". In the Bloggernacle, A Motley Vision gave the movie a B+ and the Mormon Movie Guy gave the movie a A-; saying: "The Saratov Approach isn't just great Mormon cinema, it's great cinema, period. It skillfully contrasts the darkness of greed and desperation with the ultimate light of compassion and courage. Even though faith in Christ is a key theme, this is a great human story that people will be uplifted by regardless of their beliefs."
- Young Mormon Moviegoers Have Faith in Real-Life Pic ‘Saratov Approach’
- Saratov to expand nationwide
- McBride, Erin Ann (January 24 2014), "“The Saratov Approach” Breaks Records and Molds", Meridian Magazine
- Kidnapped Mormons freed from the BBC
- Kidnapped LDS Missionaries Release Movie of Experience
- Mormon Missionaries’ Russian Kidnap Story Made into Movie
- "‘The Saratov Approach’ director planned for movie 15 years ago". utahvalley360.com. September 30, 2013. Retrieved 20 October 2013.
- Means, Sean P. (October 8, 2013). "Movie review: ‘Saratov Approach’ a moving drama of fear and faith". The Salt Lake Tribune. Retrieved 20 October 2013.
- Terry, Josh (October 9, 2013). "'Saratov Approach' captures suspense of real-life missionary abduction drama". Deseret News. Retrieved 20 October 2013.
- Proctor, Mariah (October 3, 2013). "The Saratov Approach: A Film that Finally Tells the Rest of the Story". Meridian Magazine. Retrieved 20 October 2013.
- Salles, Steve (October 9, 2013). "'Saratov Approach' One of the Best in the Mormon Film Genre". Standard-Examiner. Retrieved 20 October 2013.
- Review: The Saratov Approach (B+)
- Review: Gritty 'SARATOV APPROACH' Will Inspire Audiences of All Faiths