The Scarecrow (1920 film)
Buster accidentally proposes to Sybil in The Scarecrow (1920).
|Directed by||Edward F. Cline
|Produced by||Joseph M. Schenck|
|Written by||Edward F. Cline
|Edited by||Buster Keaton|
|Distributed by||Metro Pictures|
|Language||Silent (English intertitles)|
The Scarecrow is a 1920 American short comedy film starring comedian Buster Keaton. It was written and directed by Keaton and Edward F. Cline. The runtime is 19 minutes. One of the more memorable scenes of the film is the opening, where Buster and Joe Roberts share a small one room house that is filled with many space- and labor-saving Rube Goldberg devices.
Buster plays a farmhand who competes with Joe Roberts to win the love of the farmer's daughter (Sybil Seely). Running from a dog (played by Luke, Fatty Arbuckle's real-life pet), Buster falls into a hay thresher and ruins his clothes. Forced to borrow the clothes of a nearby scarecrow, Sybil believes Buster to be proposing as she stumbles upon him tying his shoe. The couple speed off on a motorcycle with Joe and the farmer (played by Buster's father, Joe) in hot pursuit. Scooping up a minister during the chase, they are married on the speeding motorcycle and splash into a stream at the climax of the ceremony and the film.
- Buster Keaton – Farmhand (as 'Buster' Keaton)
- Edward F. Cline – Hit-and-Run Truck Driver (uncredited)
- Luke the Dog – The Dog (uncredited)
- Joe Keaton – Farmer (uncredited)
- Joe Roberts – Farmhand (uncredited)
- Sybil Seely – Farmer's Daughter (uncredited)
- Al St. John – Man with Motorbike (uncredited)
- Mary Astor - (uncredited)
- Keaton, Eleanor; Vance, Jeffrey (2001). Buster Keaton Remembered. Harry N. Abrams, Inc. ISBN 0-8109-4227-5.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to The Scarecrow (1920 film).|
- The short film The Scarecrow is available for free download at the Internet Archive
- The Scarecrow at the Internet Movie Database
- The Scarecrow on YouTube
- The Scarecrow at AllMovie
|This article about a short silent comedy film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|