The Scientific World Journal
|The Scientific World Journal|
Abbreviated title (ISO 4)
|Discipline||Biology, biomedicine, medicine|
|Frequency||Articles published as accepted|
The Scientific World Journal (formerly, The ScientificWorldJournal) is a peer-reviewed scientific journal covering fields in the life sciences ranging from biomedicine to environmental sciences and its primary audience are researchers working in these fields.
The journal was established in 2001 and is published online only. From 2001 to 2011, the editor-in-chief was Graham Lees. In 2011, the journal was acquired by Hindawi Publishing Corporation and converted to open access.
The journal was divided into "domains", each covering a particular subject (e.g., "Neuroscience") and some of these domains can be joined further into "clusters" (e.g., "Neuroscience, Neurology & Psychiatry"). Each domain had its own set of principal and associate editors, as well as an editorial board. Published articles could be assigned to multiple, different domains, so that an article on, for example, air particulates could be found easily both by researchers working in environmental or Earth sciences and biomedical researchers searching for causes of asthma. After the journal was taken over by Hindawi, it was reorganized according to a more traditional model with more rigid subject sections. However, the journal has no formal editor-in-chief any more and decisions regarding acceptance or rejection of a manuscript appear to be made by majority vote from a mix of external reviewers and editors (whose identity remains confidential unless a manuscript is accepted for publication).
Abstracting and indexing
The journal is abstracted and indexed in:
- "About The Scientific World Journal". The Scientific World Journal. Retrieved 2009-09-07.
- "The Scientific World Journal: Editorial board". Retrieved 2013-01-05.
- Allen, Anne V.; Lees, Graham V. (2004-07-01). "TheScientificWorldJOURNAL: sustainability through innovation". Learned Publishing 17 (3): 183–187. doi:10.1087/095315104323159595. Retrieved 2013-01-05.
- "Editorial Workflow". The Scientific World Journal. Hindawi Publishing Corporation. Retrieved 2013-01-05.
- "Indexing and abstracting information". The Scientific World Journal. Hindawi Publishing Corporation. Retrieved 2013-01-05.
- "The Scientific World Journal". 2012 Journal Citation Reports. Web of Science (Science ed.). Thomson Reuters. 2013. (subscription required)