The Search Is Over
|"The Search Is Over"|
|Single by Survivor|
|from the album Vital Signs|
|B-side||"I Can't Hold Back"|
|Genre||Rock, piano rock|
|Writer(s)||Frankie Sullivan, Jim Peterik|
|Certification||2× Platinum (RIAA)|
|Survivor singles chronology|
"The Search Is Over" is a 1985 Billboard Hot 100 hit, peaking at #4, originally recorded by Survivor. Former Survivor keyboardist/guitarist and songwriter Jim Peterik told Songfacts: "It wasn't about my life as much as a friend of mine who had a girlfriend - really a play pal throughout their growing up years - and never thought it could be anything more than that. It was looking him straight in the face that this was the girl of his destiny, and he looked everywhere to find that dream girl only to come back to the sandbox."  It was the band's third single and second top-ten hit from their 1984 album Vital Signs. It peaked at number four on the Billboard Hot 100 chart in July 1985, remaining in the Top 40 for fourteen weeks. The song also spent four weeks atop the adult contemporary chart, Survivor's only chart-topper on this tally.
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (December 2011)|
- In 2005, singer Collin Raye covered the song for his album Twenty Years and Change.
- In 2008, Rachelle Ann Go covered the song for her album Rachelle Ann Rocks Live.
- In 2009, original co-writer Jim Peterik recorded the song as a solo for his album Lifeforce.
- In 2009, Scott MacIntyre performed the song on American Idol, and recorded a studio version which was released on iTunes.
- In 2009, the song was included in the Broadway jukebox musical, Rock of Ages, as a duet between the characters Drew and Sherrie.
- "Interview with Jim Peterik about "The Search is Over"". Songfacts.com. Retrieved 2009-04-09.
- Whitburn, Joel (1996). The Billboard Book of Top 40 Hits, 6th Edition (Billboard Publications)
|This 1980s rock song-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|