The Secret Invasion
|The Secret Invasion|
|Directed by||Roger Corman|
|Produced by||Gene Corman|
|Written by||R. Wright Campbell|
|Music by||Hugo Friedhofer|
|Cinematography||Arthur E. Arling|
|Editing by||Ronald Sinclair|
|Distributed by||United Artists|
|Release dates||September 16, 1964|
|Running time||95 minutes|
|Box office||$3 million|
Criminal mastermind Rocca (Raf Vallone), demolitions expert and Irish Republican Army member Scanlon (Mickey Rooney), forger Fell (Edd Byrnes), cold-blooded murderer Durrell (Henry Silva), and thief and impersonator Saval (William Campbell) are offered pardons in exchange for attempting to rescue from captivity in German-occupied Yugoslavia an Italian general sympathetic to the Allies. They are led by Major Richard Mace (Stewart Granger), who is trying to expiate his feelings of guilt for sending his own brother on a dangerous mission and waiting too long to extricate him. The fishing boat transporting Mace's team is stopped by a patrol boat, but they dispose of the Germans.
With the assistance of local partisans led by Marko (Peter Coe), they split up and enter Dubrovnik. Durrell is partnered with Mila (Mia Massini), a recent widow with a baby. They are attracted to each other, but Durrell accidentally smothers her crying child to avoid detection by a German patrol. The team is captured and taken to the same fortress where the Italian general is being kept. They are tortured for information, but manage to escape and fulfill their mission, although Mace, Mila, Fell, Scanlon, and Saval are killed while fending off German troops.
At the last minute, Rocca and Durrell discover that the man they have freed is an impostor, and he is about to exhort "his" troops to stay loyal to the Axis. Durrell shoots the fake general, while pretending to be a Nazi fanatic, and is killed by the outraged Italians. Rocca, the last man standing, directs the Italians' anger at the Germans.
- Stewart Granger as Major Richard Mace
- Raf Vallone as Roberto Rocca
- Mickey Rooney as Terence Scanlon
- Edd Byrnes as Simon Fell
- Henry Silva as John Durrell
- Spela Rozin as Mila (as Mia Massini)
- William Campbell as Jean Saval
- Helmo Kindermann as German Fortress Commander
- Enzo Fiermonte as General Quadri
- Peter Coe as Marko
- Nan Morris as Stephana
- Corman, Roger & Jerome, Jim (1990). How I Made a Hundred Movies in Hollywood and Never lost a Dime. Muller. p. 121.
- The Secret Invasion at the Internet Movie Database
- The Secret Invasion at the TCM Movie Database
- The Secret Invasion at allmovie