The Seedling Stars
Dust-jacket from the first edition
|Cover artist||Lionel Dillon|
|Genre||Science fiction short stories|
|Media type||Print (Hardback)|
The Seedling Stars is a 1957 collection of science fiction short stories by James Blish. It was first published by Gnome Press in 1957 in an edition of 5,000 copies. The stories concern adapting humans to alien environments.
- "Seeding Program" (F&SF 1956)
- "The Thing in the Attic" (If 1954)
- "Surface Tension" (Galaxy 1952)
- "Watershed" (If 1955)
"Seeding Program" was originally published under the title "A Time to Survive". "Surface Tension" was revised from its magazine publication, and here incorporates material from Blish's earlier story "Sunken Universe", published in Super Science Stories in 1942.
Galaxy reviewer Floyd C. Gale praised the collection as "a thought-provoking job." Anthony Boucher also received the book favorably, saying it "nicely illustrat[ed] the characteristic Blish balance between thinking and storytelling, with each reinforcing the other."
- Index to Science Fiction Anthologies and Collections
- "Galaxy's 5 Star Shelf", Galaxy Science Fiction, January 1957, p.105
- "Recommended Reading," F&SF, July 1957, p.92.
- Chalker, Jack L.; Mark Owings (1998). The Science-Fantasy Publishers: A Bibliographic History, 1923-1998. Westminster, MD and Baltimore: Mirage Press, Ltd. p. 306.
- Contento, William G. "Index to Science Fiction Anthologies and Collections". Retrieved 2008-03-04.