|Studio album by Macy Gray|
|Released||June 21, 2010|
|Genre||R&B, soul, pop, neo soul|
|Macy Gray chronology|
|Singles from The Sellout|
The Sellout is the fifth studio album by American R&B-soul singer–songwriter Macy Gray, released on June 22, 2010 in the United States. The album's lead single, "Beauty in the World" was released in April 2010. Upon its release, The Sellout received generally mixed reviews from most music critics.
Gray announced the album on her website, stating that it had been a work in progress since 2008. She wrote:
Since November 2008, I've been working hard on my fifth album and am so excited for you to hear it. It is called "The Sellout." It's about all the mountains I've been climbing to be where I want to be in my personal and professional life. It is most certainly my best work and we are almost finished. The album is produced by Myself, Jared and Whitey, Caviar, Kaz James and Rodney Jerkins. It includes a duet with the legendary Bobby Brown and performances by the best musicians I've ever known. Check in daily for updates on the progress of the record and songs from the record that you will hear here first. - Macy
Release and promotion
The album was originally intended to be released on May 18, 2010, but for unknown reasons its release was pushed to June 22, 2010.
The first US single is "Beauty In The World", which has been on three Billboard charts, including the Adult Contemporary and its remix on the Hot Dance Club Songs. The first UK single is "Lately", released on June 14, but failing to reach the UK Singles Chart. It charted better on the Billboard 's Hot Dance Club Play, so far, reaching the top-ten. The second US single, "Kissed It" (featuring Velvet Revolver) was released on May 24, and is the featured song on Bravo's summer campaign. The title track "The Sellout" will be released as the UK second single (fourth overall) 0n August 30, 2010.[dated info]
|The Boston Globe||(favorable)|
|The New York Times||(mixed)|
Upon its release, The Sellout received generally mixed reviews from most music critics. At Metacritic, which assigns a normalized rating out of 100 to reviews from mainstream critics, the album received an average score of 57, based on 15 reviews, which indicates "mixed or average reviews". Andy Gill of The Independent gave it 3 out of 5 stars and wrote that it "suffers much of the same frustrating patchiness, that distinctively emotive voice squandered on material that simply doesn't deserve it". Allmusic writer John Bush shared a similar sentiment and panned Gray's songwriting. MusicOMH writer Talia Soghomonian gave the album 2½ out of 5 stars and wrote "While there is plenty of soul in the sound, there is a lack of body in both delivery and melody". Q gave it 2 out of 5 stars and called it "her blandest record yet: it drifts from nondescript disco-pop and cloying R&B to woefully ersatz glam stomp".
However, The Boston Globe 's James Reed commended its production and wrote that it "sands off the edges that have been key to Gray’s appeal". Jeremy Allen of NME gave the album a 7/10 rating and praised Gray for "effortlessly combining classic pop with flamboyant chart-frippery". Entertainment Weekly 's Simon Vozick-Levinson gave The Sellout a B- rating and stated "Nothing here will dramatically alter the arc of Gray's career, but The Sellout yields several jams worth hearing". In his consumer guide for MSN Music, critic Robert Christgau gave the album an A- rating, indicating "the kind of garden-variety good record that is the great luxury of musical micromarketing and overproduction. Anyone open to its aesthetic will enjoy more than half its tracks".
|1.||"The Sellout"||Macy Gray, Hit-Boy, Chase N. Cashe||Hit-Boy, Chase N. Cashe||3:58|
|2.||"Lately"||Gray, Kaz James, Mellissa "Honey" Larochelle, Lazonate Franklin, Ely Weisfeld, Jamie Almos||Kaz James, The Brothers Rise||2:57|
|3.||"Kissed It" (featuring Velvet Revolver)||Gray, Franklin, Kannon "Caviar" Kross, Corey "Oz" Simon||Kross, Simon||4:36|
|4.||"Still Hurts" (featuring Romika)||Gray, Teedra Moses, Lamar "Kromic" Mitchell, Jared Gosselin||Gosselin, Phillip White||3:50|
|5.||"Beauty in the World"||Gray, Josh Lopez, George Reichart, Kross||Gray, Kross, Simon||3:50|
|6.||"Help Me"||Gray, Rock City, Rodney "Darkchild" Jerkins||Jerkins||4:37|
|7.||"Let You Win"||Gray, Phillip White, Larochelle, Samir Elmehdaoui||Gosselin, White||3:57|
|8.||"That Man"||Gray, Mel Hinds, White, Mitchell||White||3:33|
|9.||"Stalker"||Gray, Tony Hardy||Gosselin, White||2:27|
|10.||"Real Love" (featuring Bobby Brown)||Gray, White, Larochelle, Elmehdaoui, Freddie Moffett, Gosselin||Gosselin, White||4:03|
|11.||"On & On"||Gray, Mika Lett, Meelah Williams, Hit-Boy, Don Cannon||Hit-Boy, Cannon||3:19|
|12.||"The Comeback"||Gray, White, Hardy, Gosselin||Gosselin, Gray||4:04|
|iTunes pre-order bonus track|
|Target limited deluxe edition bonus tracks|
|13.||"Lately" (Acoustic Version)|
|14.||"Beauty in the World" (Island Mix)|
|15.||"The Comeback" (Acoustic Version)|
|Austrian Albums Chart||70|
|Dutch Albums Chart||76|
|French Albums Chart||62|
|Greek Albums Chart||10|
|Polish Album Charts||42|
|Swiss Albums Chart||28|
|UK Albums Chart||128|
|US Billboard 200||38|
- "Beauty in the World - Single by Macy Gray - Download Beauty in the World - Single on iTunes". Itunes.apple.com. 2010-03-30. Retrieved 2010-06-22.
- "Kissed It (feat. Velvet Revolver) by Macy Gray - Download Kissed It (feat. Velvet Revolver) on iTunes". Itunes.apple.com. 2010-05-11. Retrieved 2010-06-22.
- "Music - - Singles Release Diary". Digital Spy. Retrieved 2010-06-22.
- "Macy Gray". Macy Gray. 2010-06-18. Retrieved 2010-06-22.
- "The Sellout: Macy Gray: Music". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2010-06-22.
- "Club Music, Hot Dance Songs, Club Songs, Dance Club Music Charts". Billboard.com. Retrieved 2012-03-09.
- "Macy Gray Spreads Positive Vibes on 'The Sellout'". Billboard.com. 2009-09-14. Retrieved 2010-06-22.
- The Billboard 200 charts - Macy debuts - MTV News MTV News Retrieved 2010-07-02
- "Music Albums, Top 200 Albums & Music Album Charts" (in (Japanese)). Billboard.com. Retrieved 2012-03-09.
- Bush, John. "Review: The Sellout". Allmusic. Retrieved 24 June 2010.
- Reed, James. Review: The Sellout. The Boston Globe. Retrieved on 2010-07-01.
- Christgau, Robert. "Consumer Guide: The Sellout". MSN Music: July 2010.
- Vozick-Levinson, Simon. Review: The Sellout. Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved on 2010-07-01.
- Gill, Andy. Review: The Sellout. The Independent. Retrieved on 2010-07-01.
- Pareles, Jon. Review: The Sellout. The New York Times. Retrieved on 2010-07-01.
- Allen, Jeremy. Review: The Sellout. NME. Retrieved on 2010-07-01.
- Layman, Will. Review: The Sellout. PopMatters. Retrieved on 2010-07-01.
- Hermes, Will. Review: The Sellout. Rolling Stone. Retrieved on 2010-07-01.
- Cole, Matthew. Review: The Sellout. Slant Magazine. Retrieved on 2010-07-01.
- The Sellout (2010): Reviews. Metacritic. Retrieved on 2010-07-01.
- Soghomonian, Talia. Review: The Sellout. MusicOMH. Retrieved on 2010-07-01.
- Columnist. "Review: The Sellout". Q: 132. July 2010.
- Christgau, Robert. "CG Keys to Icons: Grades 1990-". RobertChristgau.com. Retrieved 2010-02-28.
- Steffen Hung. "Austria Top 40 - Hitparade Österreich". austriancharts.at. Retrieved 2012-03-09.
- Steffen Hung. "Dutch charts portal". dutchcharts.nl. Retrieved 2012-03-09.
- Steffen Hung. "Les charts français". lescharts.com. Retrieved 2012-03-09.
- Steffen Hung. "Greek charts portal". greekcharts.com. Retrieved 2012-03-09.
- "OLiS - Eminem - Recovery". OLiS. Retrieved 2010-06-30.
- Steffen Hung. "Die Offizielle Schweizer Hitparade und Music Community". Hitparade.ch. Retrieved 2012-03-09.
- "The Sellout - Macy Gray". Billboard.com. 2010-07-10. Retrieved 2012-03-09.