The Sensational Spider-Man
|The Sensational Spider-Man|
|Publication date||Jan. 1996 - Nov. 1998|
|Number of issues||35 (#0-33, & #Minus 1)|
|Writer(s)||Dan Jurgens, issues 0-6
Todd DeZago, issues 7-33
The Sensational Spider-Man is a comic book series starring Spider-Man published by Marvel Comics for 35 issues (#0-33, with # -1 published in July 1997 between #17 and #18), from January 1996 until November 1998.
The Sensational Spider-Man was first used as the title for a prestige format one-shot special called The Sensational Spider-Man: Nothing Can Stop the Juggernaut (ISBN 0-87135-572-8) in 1989 from Marvel Comics which reprinted The Amazing Spider-Man issues #229 and #230 (originally published in 1982).
The initial seven issues (#0-6, January–July, 1996) were written and pencilled by Dan Jurgens, who had helped revive interest in Superman for DC Comics in the mid-1990s. Jurgens pushed strongly for the restoration of Peter Parker as the true Spider-Man and plans were made to enact this soon, but Bob Harras, the new Editor-in-chief, demanded the story be deferred until after the Onslaught crossover. Jurgens had by this stage become disillusioned with the immense amount of group planning and constant changes of ideas and directions and took this as the last straw, resigning from the title.
He was succeeded by writer Todd DeZago and penciller Mike Wieringo, who remained as the title's regular creative team for the remainder of its run. It lasted for 35 issues (33 regularly numbered issues as well as an initial issue "0" and the "-1" Flashback issue, released mid-run).
- Spider-Man: The Complete Ben Reilly Epic Book 1 (#0)
- Spider-Man: The Complete Ben Reilly Epic Book 2 (#1)
- Spider-Man: The Complete Ben Reilly Epic Book 3 (#2-3)
- Spider-Man: The Complete Ben Reilly Epic Book 4 (#4-6)
- Spider-Man: The Complete Ben Reilly Epic Book 5 (#7-10)
- Spider-Man: The Complete Ben Reilly Epic Book 6 (Sensational Spider-Man #11)
- X-Men: The Complete Onslaught Epic Vol. 2 (#8)
- Spider-Man: Revelations (#11)
Issues #13-15 of The Sensational Spider-Man (vol. 1) were reprinted in the Spider-Man: Savage Land prestige format trade paperback (ISBN 0-7851-0563-8) in June 1997 (with the book titled as Spider-Man: The Savage Land Saga! on the cover only).
- Spider-Man: Spider-Hunt (#25-26)
- Spider-Man: Identity Crisis (#27-28)
- Spider-Man: The Gathering of Five (#32-33)
- The Grand Comics Database
- Spyder-25.com - Sensational Spider-Man Overview
- The Unofficial Handbook of Marvel Comics Creators