|Publisher(s)||Sony Computer Entertainment|
|Genre(s)||Light gun shooter, Rail shooter|
The Shoot, known in Japan as Shooting Studio, is a 2010 Rail shooter video game for the PlayStation 3, which uses the PlayStation Move controllers. It is developed by Cohort Studios and published by Sony Computer Entertainment for release in North America on 19 October 2010, Europe on 29 October 2010 and Japan in 27 January 2011. It was officially unveiled at the 2010 Game Developers Conference in San Francisco.
Players in the game have to help film a series of Hollywood action films, thus the players have takes rather than lives in the game. The game's story consists of several scenes and overarching chapters each focused around different films. The game also contains subtle hints towards the current generation of Hollywood films such as "Robotomus Crime" a play on the name Optimus Prime from the recent Transformers series of films.
Players will traverse through 5 unique Hollywood-style levels such as an Alien Cyborg invasion, a western cowboy-style town as well as horror themes. The game is a Light gun shooter which utilizes the PlayStation Move for an arcade-style sci-fi Shoot 'em up game. The game is mainly a Rail shooter though players have to tilt side to side to dodge oncoming missiles or get a better angle on their shot, this is usually utilised when enemies hide behind innocent human beings.
The game differs from its competitors through the use of its special moves such as a Shockwave blast which can clear an entire screen of enemies by aiming the Move down below the screen or engage in rampaging rapid fire by aiming above the screen. Players can also slow down time by making a full three hundred and sixty degree twist in front of the PlayStation Eye to execute the move. These special moves require tokens which are collected by chaining together foes and performing certain combos.
Kotaku praised the game's quick and easy take on the shooter genre along with the game's visuals and clever enemy design. Its only criticism was that sometimes controls can feel sluggish. Ars Technica also queried an initial controller lag, but stated that the player soon gets used to it. It also went on to praise the game's price and replay value.
Now Gamer summed up its review by saying "The Shoot was never going to set the gaming world alight, but it is a charming and highly enjoyable title at a budget price than [sic] anyone with Move should definitely try."
- "The Shoot for PlayStation Move Hits on October 19 – PlayStation Blog". Blog.us.playstation.com. 2010-06-15. Retrieved 2010-10-08.
- Search:. "The Shoot Release Information for PlayStation 3". GameFAQs. Retrieved 2010-10-08.
- "Introducing PlayStation Move – PlayStation.Blog.Europe". Blog.eu.playstation.com. 2010-03-11. Retrieved 2010-10-08.
- Chris Roper (2010-03-10). "GDC 10: The Shoot Hands-on - PlayStation 3 Preview at IGN". Ps3.ign.com. Retrieved 2010-10-08.
- "PlayStation Move's The Shoot Has A Major Twist". Kotaku.com. 2010-03-10. Retrieved 2010-10-08.
- "The Shoot for PlayStation 3". GameRankings. 2010-11-02. Retrieved 2010-11-25.
- Cudds (2010-11-10). "The Shoot for PlayStation 3 Reviews, Ratings, Credits, and More at Metacritic". Metacritic.com. Retrieved 2010-11-26.
- Ramsay, Randolph. "The Shoot Review for PlayStation 3 - GameSpot". Uk.gamespot.com. Retrieved 2010-10-28.
- Scott Lowe (2010-10-22). "The Shoot Review - PlayStation 3 Review at IGN". Uk.ps3.ign.com. Retrieved 2010-10-28.
- "The Shoot (Move) (PS3) review | NowGamer". Ps3.nowgamer.com. Retrieved 2010-10-28.
- McGehee, Steven. "The Shoot@DigitalChumps.com". DigitalChumps.com. Retrieved 2010-10-29.
- "The Shoot on PlayStation 3 review". pushsquare.com. Retrieved 2010-11-01.
- Severino, Anthony. "PS3 Review - the Shoot". PlayStationLifeStyle.net. Retrieved 2010-10-29.
- Fallback. "The Shoot - Review". GameManx.com. Retrieved 2010-10-29.
- Groen, Andrew. "The Shoot Review for PlayStation 3 (PS3)". cheatcc.com. Retrieved 2010-10-29.
- "The Shoot". gamin-age.com. Retrieved 2010-10-31.
- Knutsson, P-A. "The Shoot". level7.nu. Retrieved 2010-10-29.
- Fajardo, Mark. "The Shoot (PlayStation Move) Review (PS3)". JustPushStart.com. Retrieved 2010-10-29.
- Dolge, Adam. "The Shoot Review". psu.com. Retrieved 2010-10-29.
- "GO | DigitalAwards10 | Winners". Herald Scotland. 2009-08-01. Retrieved 2010-10-29.
- "Review: The Shoot". Kotaku.com. 2010-10-19. Retrieved 2010-10-28.
- Kuchera, Ben. "PS3's The Shoot with PlayStation Move: $40 well spent". Arstechnica.com. Retrieved 2010-10-28.
- "Good Game stories - PlayStation Move Round Up". Australian Broadcasting Corporation. 2010-11-29.