The Times (Shreveport)
||This article appears to be written like an advertisement. (February 2009)|
|Headquarters||222 Lake Street
Shreveport, LA 71101
The Times distribution area includes twelve parishes in Northwest Louisiana and three counties in east Texas. Coverage focuses on issues affecting the Shreveport-Bossier market and includes investigative reporting, community news, arts & entertainment, government, education, sports, business, and religion, along with local opinion/commentary.
The Times website shreveporttimes.com provides news updates, videos, photo galleries, forums, blogs, event calendars, entertainment, classifieds, contests, databases and a regional search engine. Local news content produced by The Times is available on the website at no charge for seven days.
From 1895 to 1991, The Times had competition from the afternoon Monday-Saturday daily, the since defunct Shreveport Journal. The papers were later printed at the same 222 Lake Street address and shared opposite sides of the building but were entirely separate and independent of the other. Publisher Charles T. Beaird effective March 30, 1991, closed the Shreveport Journal for financial reasons stemming from sharply reduced circulation. Thereafter, the page opposite the editorial page of The Times, commonly called the op-ed page, was reserved as "The Journal Page" for editorial comment until December 31, 1999.
The Times sponsors political debates, economic summits, forums, leadership awards, and other community-oriented initiatives. The Times also provides community support through Gannett Foundation grants and community partnerships. For more than 30 years The Times "Joy Fund" has provided funds to charitable organizations during the holidays through donations provided by readers with funds exceeding $100,000 annually. In addition, The Times presents the Regional Spelling Bee and supports local events including the Red River Revel, Mudbug Madness, the State Fair of Louisiana, Boutique de Noel, among others. Support is also provided to the Shreveport Symphony, the Opera Guild, Sci-Port, Shreveport Regional Arts Council, Alliance for Education, American Red Cross, Shreveport Green, Community Renewal, Providence House, and the United Way of Northwest Louisiana.
- Main news (first section)
- USA TODAY
- Food & Dining (Wednesdays)
- Preview entertainment (Fridays)
- Home & Garden (Saturdays)
- Autos (Saturdays and Sundays)
- Celebrations (Sundays)
- Real Estate (Sundays)
- CareerBuilder (Sundays)
- Money & Insight (Sundays)
- USA TODAY LIFE (Sundays)
- Comics + TV Times (Sundays)
- USA Weekend (Sundays)
Publications and websites
- The Times daily newspaper
- Preview weekly entertainment guide
- shreveporttimes.com Online news and information
- LSUBeat.com Online news and information on LSU sports
- PrepsBeat.com Online news and information on high school sports
- MoneySaver weekly shopper direct mailed with grocery/store inserts
- Slice magazine monthly health news
- Red River Moms magazine monthly parenting and child information
- CareerBuilder Weekly weekly employment listings and career advice
Current and former staffers
- Lane Crockett (b. 1941) -- entertainment writer and theater/arts critics from 1977–2004
- Preston Allen "Pap" Dean (1915-2011) -- editorial cartoonist and inductee of the Louisiana Political Museum and Hall of Fame
- Tim Greening (1968–2007) -- Times humor columnist
- Grits Gresham (1922–2008) -- former Times outdoor editor and host of ABC's The American Sportsman television series from 1966–1979
- Sarah Hudson-Pierce (b. 1948) - Shreveport book publisher and occasional Times columnist
- Wiley W. Hilburn (1938-2014) - Times columnist ("Fragments") and head of the Journalism Department at Louisiana Tech University; inductee of Louisiana Political Museum and Hall of Fame
- Bill P. Keith (b. 1934) - reported on George W. D'Artois scandal in the middle 1970s; later a Louisiana state senator
- Harold R. "Hal" King - suspense novelist who was an investigative reporter at The Times in the 1970s
- Jim Leslie (1937-1976) - Shreveport Times journalist turned advertising executive; assassinated in Baton Rouge; speculation focused on the late George W. D'Artois as the culprite behind the crime.
- William Hawthorn Lynch (1929-2004) - sportswriter (1948), assistant city editor and political reporter, established the Baton Rouge bureau of The Times (1953-1965); state's first inspector general (1988-2004)
- Charles E. Maple (1932-2006) - former executive editor and state editor (1970s)
- Margaret Martin (b. ca. 1940) - Society editor and columnist
- Raymond Lamar McDaniel (1925-1991) - city editor, named executive editor in 1968
- James Ray "Jim" Montgomery (1945-2013) - former amusements editor, editorial writer, editorial page editor, and managing editor; worked in effort to preserve the Strand Theatre in Shreveport, authored Ladies and Gentlemen, The Strand in 2000; Minden native reared in Springhill, Louisiana
- Rupert Peyton (1899–1982) - Reporter, historian, and state representative (1932–1936)
- Norman Lee Richardson (1935–1999) -- Former state editor known for coverage of hurricanes of 1960s
- Dale Thorn (1943-2014), editor at The Times in late 1960s, Louisiana State University professor, and press secretary to Governor Edwin Edwards, native of McComb, Mississippi
- Stanley Ray Tiner (b. 1942) -- Former political reporter; executive editor of The Sun Herald in Biloxi-Gulfport, Mississippi
- Dan Turner—Press secretary to former Governor Haley Barbour of Mississippi; former staffer to former U.S. Representative Jim McCrery of Louisiana; native of Philadelphia, Mississippi
- H. M. Fowler, former mayor of Coushatta and a member of the Louisiana House of Representatives from 1972 to 1986, delivered The Shreveport Times in Coushatta in the 1950s.
- "Shreveport Journal ends publication after 96 years:, Minden Press-Herald', March 31, 1991, p. 1
- "Badge of Dishonor: George D'Artois and his alleged murder plot against Jim Leslie". KTBS-TV. Retrieved July 26, 2014.
- Obituary of William Hawthorn Lynch, New Orleans Times-Picayune, February 16, 2004
- "Raymond Lamar McDaniel". findagrave.com. Retrieved July 28, 2014.
- "James Ray "Jim" Montgomery obituary". Shreveport Times. Retrieved January 16, 2013.
- "Obituary of Dr. Jesse Dale Thorn, May 14, 2014". Ouachita Citizen. Retrieved May 17, 2014.
- "H. M. "Mutt" Fowler". The Shreveport Times. Retrieved September 20, 2014.