The Silver Seas
|The Silver Seas|
|Also known as||The Bees (U.S.)|
|Origin||Nashville, Tennessee, U.S.|
|Past members||Robbie Harrington
The Silver Seas, formerly The Bees (U.S.), are a pop-rock band from Nashville, Tennessee, that formed when producer Jason Lehning met singer-songwriter Daniel Tashian, son of Barry and Holly Tashian. The band toured as an opening act for Guster in 2004 after the independent release of their debut album, Starry Gazey Pie. Their follow-up, High Society, appeared in early 2006.
On May 2, 2007, it was announced that The Bees had signed to the Los Angeles-based label Cheap Lullaby, which intended to reissue High Society. However, copyright issues, namely that a UK band were also using the name The Bees (known as A Band of Bees in the States), forced Nashville's Bees to change their moniker, hence The Silver Seas. Under this new name, Cheap Lullaby reissued High Society on October 9, 2007.
The Silver Seas have received high marks from the media: Metromix gave High Society a "Pick" rating and mentioned that they had the reputation as "one of the best unsigned bands in their hometown of Nashville," and magazine Performing Songwriter said of High Society that the band had "made the catchiest album of the year". High Society was also nominated at the 7th Annual Independent Music Awards for best pop/rock album of the year.
In 2010 the band independently released their third album, Château Revenge, followed in early 2011 by a "blue edition" that features acoustic versions of the LP's 12 songs.
The Silver Seas released their fourth LP, Alaska, in July of 2013. The band described it as their "country" album in an interview with BBC Radio 2, although the record is by no means a departure from the lushly-detailed arrangements of their previous efforts. Having never been there himself, Daniel Tashian said the name of the record reflects what he imagines the beauty of Alaska to be like, as more of a mental mood than a physical destination. The Guardian gave it a favorable review saying "there's barely a misplaced chord in this perfect miniature." 
- Daniel Tashian – lead vocals, guitar
- Jason Lehning – piano, backing vocals
- Lex Price – electric bass
- David Gehrke – drums, backing vocals
- Robbie Harrington – upright bass
- Starry Gazey Pie (2004)
- High Society (2006; reissued with two bonus tracks in 2007)
- Château Revenge (2010)
- Château Revenge: Blue Edition (2011)
- Alaska (2013)
- "News: The Silver Seas sign to Cheap Lullaby". CheapLullaby.com. Retrieved 2007-12-31.
- Balderston, Adele (2007-09-27). "Take an 'Imaginary' Trip Across the Silver Seas". Spin.com. Retrieved 2007-12-31.
- "High Society". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2007-12-31.
- Hermann, Andy (2007-10-08). "The Silver Seas, "High Society"". Metromix.com. Retrieved 2007-12-31.[dead link]
|This article about a United States alternative rock band is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|