The Simpsons (season 24)
|The Simpsons (season 24)|
Digital download season cover art
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of episodes||22|
|Original run||September 30, 2012– May 19, 2013|
An August 2011 article in Advertising Age reported that the average cost of a 30-second advertising spot during a first-run episode of The Simpsons was $286,131—up from $254,260 in season 23. In 2012, The Simpsons was the sixth-most expensive television series in the United States to sponsor. The top five were (in ascending order) American Idol (Thursday), New Girl, Modern Family, American Idol (Wednesday), and NBC Sunday Night Football. A first-run, season 24 episode of The Simpsons was the Fox Broadcasting Company's fourth-most expensive program to sponsor, up from fifth in 2011.
|Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date||Production
|509||1||"Moonshine River"||Bob Anderson||Tim Long||September 30, 2012||PABF21||8.08|
|The Simpsons return to New York City after Bart discovers that, out of all of the female interests he has had (such as Gina the juvenile delinquent, Jenny the nursing home volunteer, Darcy the pregnant teen, and Nikki, the fourth grade girl who flip-flopped between loving and hating him), the only one who liked him was Cletus the Slack-Jawed Yokel's daughter, Mary (from "Apocalypse Cow"), and now that Mary's made it to the Big Apple to be a writer for Saturday Night Live, Bart wants to see her again.
Guest stars: Ken Burns, Zooey Deschanel, Sarah Michelle Gellar, Anne Hathaway, Maurice LaMarche, Don Pardo, Natalie Portman, Kevin Michael Richardson, Al Roker and Sarah Silverman
|510||2||"Treehouse of Horror XXIII"
"The Simpsons Halloween Special XXIII"
|Steven Dean Moore||David Mandel & Brian Kelley||October 7, 2012||PABF17||6.57|
This year's Halloween special:
Guest star: Jon Lovitz
|511||3||"Adventures in Baby-Getting"||Rob Oliver||Bill Odenkirk||November 4, 2012||PABF18||5.65|
|Marge gets the car of her dreams until her dreams start including the possibility of a fourth child, since the car only seats five. Meanwhile, Bart and his friends spy on Lisa.
Guest star: Jeff Gordon
|512||4||"Gone Abie Gone"||Matthew Nastuk||Joel H. Cohen||November 11, 2012||PABF16||6.86|
|Homer puts Lisa's college fund into online poker as a way to fight back against big banks, and Lisa must become a player to get her college fund back. Meanwhile, Grampa Simpson mysteriously disappears from the Springfield Retirement Castle, and leaves behind clues to parts of his life that the family never knew before, like the time he was married to a black singer named Rita LaFleur, and when he worked in a restaurant with Marvin Hamlisch.
Guest stars: Jennifer Tilly, Anika Noni Rose and Marvin Hamlisch
|513||5||"Penny-Wiseguys"||Mark Kirkland||Michael Price||November 18, 2012||PABF19||5.06|
|Homer is shocked to discover that his bowling teammate Dan Gillick is an accountant for Fat Tony and his mob. Meanwhile, Lisa adds insects to her vegetarian diet after passing out during a saxophone solo from iron deficiency, but immediately quits when the bugs guilt her in her dreams.
Guest stars: Steve Carell, Joe Mantegna and Alex Trebek
|514||6||"A Tree Grows in Springfield"||Timothy Bailey||Stephanie Gillis||November 25, 2012||PABF22||7.46|
|Lisa wins a Mapple MyPad for Homer at a school raffle and Homer becomes obsessed with it until he falls and breaks it. Feeling depressed over his life and the loss of his MyPad, Flanders picks up Homer's spirits when he finds the word "Hope" written on The Simpsons' backyard tree in sap and everyone sees it as a miracle.
Guest star: Kelsey Grammer
|515||7||"The Day the Earth Stood Cool"||Matthew Faughnan||Matt Selman||December 9, 2012||PABF20||7.44|
|Homer wants a younger, hipper image, so he starts hanging out with Terrence and Emily, two hipsters from Portland, but Marge and Bart find the couple, their child, and their ilk who take over the unhip town of Springfield to be irritating and pretentious.
Guest stars: Fred Armisen, Carrie Brownstein, Patton Oswalt, and The Decemberists
|516||8||"To Cur with Love"||Steven Dean Moore||Carolyn Omine||December 16, 2012||RABF01||3.77|
|When a fire at the retirement home forces Grampa to move home with the Simpsons, Homer throws out his back on moving day and decides to stay home to recover. While enjoying his time alone, Homer gets distracted by a tablet game called "VillageVille" and loses the family dog, Santa's Little Helper. Once they find him, Homer says he never cares for dogs, except for his childhood dog named Bongo and tells the family how Mr. Burns tried to take him for attacking him.|
|517||9||"Homer Goes to Prep School"||Chuck Sheetz||Brian Kelley||January 6, 2013||RABF02||8.97|
|After a lockdown at a kids' fun center (caused by a kid chasing after a ball and a negligent worker talking on her cell phone), Homer is traumatized over seeing everyone panic in the chaos, and meets a doomsday prepper who introduces him to some Springfield residents who are preparing for the day when society crumbles from a disaster.
Guest star: Tom Waits
|518||10||"A Test Before Trying"||Chris Clements||Joel H. Cohen||January 13, 2013||RABF03||5.04|
|Springfield Elementary School is in danger of shutting down due to low test scores on the latest standardized test, and Bart may be the school's only hope. Meanwhile, Homer uses a discarded parking meter to rake in some extra money.
Guest star: Valerie Harper
|519||11||"The Changing of the Guardian"||Bob Anderson||Rob LaZebnik||January 27, 2013||RABF04||5.23|
|After surviving a tornado, Marge and Homer seek out guardians for the kids, in case the worst should happen. They first turn to friends and family, including Homer’s half-brother, Herb Powell (who inexplicably has gone broke again), with whom to entrust their kids, but when Bart and Lisa fall in love with a super-cool couple, Mav and Portia, Marge starts to question their potential guardians' true motivations.
Guest stars: Danny DeVito and Rashida Jones
|520||12||"Love is a Many-Splintered Thing"||Michael Polcino||Tim Long||February 10, 2013||RABF07||4.19|
|A "special Valentine’s-themed outing" in which Bart's heartstrings are pulled once again when Mary Spuckler returns to Springfield, but his failure to pay her enough attention strains their relationship.
Guest stars: Benedict Cumberbatch, Robert Caro, Zooey Deschanel and Max Weinberg
|521||13||"Hardly Kirk-ing"||Matthew Nastuk||Tom Gammill & Max Pross||February 17, 2013||RABF05||4.57|
|Bart gives Milhouse a haircut to get the epoxy out of his hair, and ends up making Milhouse look like his loser father, Kirk. Meanwhile, Marge tries to wean Maggie off a series of DVDs for toddlers that were pulled for stunting children's developmental growth, and Homer gets addicted to "find the hidden object" puzzle books.
Guest star: Kevin Michael Richardson
|522||14||"Gorgeous Grampa"||Chuck Sheetz||Matt Selman||March 3, 2013||RABF06||4.66|
|Homer buys a storage locker after watching a reality show, only to discover that it is Grampa's, from the days when he was Glamorous Godfrey, the most hated wrestler in the business.|
|523||15||"Black Eyed, Please"||Matthew Schofield||John Frink||March 10, 2013||RABF09||4.85|
|A new substitute teacher named Miss Cantwell is hired while Miss Hoover is out with severe depression, and Lisa must figure out why Miss Cantwell hates her. Meanwhile, Flanders tries to atone for punching Homer in the eye after Flanders' parents take a liking to him instead of their own son.
Guest stars: Richard Dawkins and Tina Fey
|524||16||"Dark Knight Court"||Mark Kirkland||Billy Kimball & Ian Maxtone-Graham||March 17, 2013||RABF10||4.89|
|Lisa must defend Bart after he is accused of pulling an Easter prank on the school marching band. Meanwhile, Mr. Burns fulfills his dream of becoming a superhero, and Smithers pays the townspeople to be supervillains.
Guest star: Janet Reno
|525||17||"What Animated Women Want"||Steven Dean Moore||J. Stewart Burns||April 14, 2013||RABF08||4.11|
|Homer takes a page from 50 Shades of Grey and decides that a sadomasochistic relationship with Marge is the way to go. Meanwhile, Milhouse uses Marlon Brando's ghost to get advice on how to impress Lisa.
Guest stars: Wanda Sykes and George Takei
|526||18||"Pulpit Friction"||Chris Clements||Bill Odenkirk||April 28, 2013||RABF11||4.54|
|Reverend Lovejoy leaves his pulpit after a charismatic new minister usurps him and finds a new job as a hot tub salesman, while Homer's newfound devotion and work as a deacon starts to annoy Bart.
Guest star: Edward Norton
|527||19||"Whiskey Business"||Matthew Nastuk||Valentina L. Garza||May 5, 2013||RABF12||4.43|
|Homer and Marge help a suicidal Moe get a new lease on life and Moe's homemade alcohol pings the radar of venture capitalists. Elsewhere, Grandpa gets hurt at home and finds Bart takes better care of him than the nursing home staff does, and Lisa complains about the "exploitation" of her dead jazz mentor Bleeding Gums Murphy after he 'performs' at a concert as a projected image.
Guest stars: Tony Bennett, Kevin Michael Richardson, Sonny Rollins and Ron Taylor
|528||20||"The Fabulous Faker Boy"||Bob Anderson||Brian McConnachie||May 12, 2013||RABF13||4.16|
|Bart's interest in piano lessons surges when he sees the instructor is a beautiful young woman, while Homer tries to keep Marge from finding out he has lost the final two original hairs on his head, and Marge helps a Russian man pass his driver's test.
Guest stars: Justin Bieber, Bill Hader, Jane Krakowski and Patrick Stewart
|529||21||"The Saga of Carl"||Mark Kirkland||Eric Kaplan||May 19, 2013||RABF14||4.01|
|Homer, Moe, Lenny and Carl team up to buy a winning lottery ticket, but when Carl absconds with the winnings and heads to his homeland of Iceland, Homer, Lenny, and Moe set out to get him and the money back.
Guest star: Sigur Rós
|530||22||"Dangers on a Train"||Steven Dean Moore||Michael Price||May 19, 2013||RABF17||4.52|
|Marge stumbles upon a website for married women to arrange affairs (after mistaking it for a cupcake delivery website) and meets a man named Ben, who falls for Marge after the two bond over a Downton Abbey-esque period drama. Meanwhile, Homer takes home a steam train that used to belong to Springfield's high-end, outside mall and recruits Reverend Lovejoy, Moe, Lenny, Carl, and Larry the Lush to fix it for his wedding anniversary.
Guest stars: Lisa Lampanelli and Seth MacFarlane
- Marnell, Blair. "Fox Announces Fall 2012 Season Premiere Dates". CraveOnline.
- FOX Broadcasting Company - The Simpsons TV Show - The Simpsons TV Series - The Simpsons Episode Guide. Fox.com. Retrieved on 2013-01-29.
- Steinberg, Brian (21 October 2012). "TV Ad Prices: 'Idol' No Match for Football". AdAge. Crain Communications. Retrieved 8 January 2013.
- Snierson, Dan (2012-05-03). "Natalie Portman, Anne Hathaway, Sarah Michelle Gellar, Sarah Silverman join Zooey Deschanel on 'The Simpsons' – EXCLUSIVE". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 2012-07-24.
- Reg. #PAu003601700 in the U.S. Copyright Records database Retrieved on March 20, 2012
- "'The Simpsons' Season 24 Guest Voices And More Fox Cartoon Guest Stars". The Huffington Post. 2012-07-23. Retrieved 2012-07-24.
- "Fox Primetime". Fox Flash. Retrieved 2012-11-06.
- Bibel, Sara (October 2, 2012). "Sunday Final Ratings: 'Once Upon A Time', 'The Simpsons', 'Bob's Burgers' Adjusted Up; '666 Park Avenue', '60 Minutes' Adjusted Down & Final Football Numbers". TV By the Numbers. Retrieved October 2, 2012.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (October 9, 2012). "Sunday Final Ratings: 'Once Upon a Time' & 'The Amazing Race' Adjusted Up; '60 Minutes' Adjusted Down + Final Football Numbers". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved October 9, 2012.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (November 6, 2012). "Sunday Final Ratings: 'The Amazing Race' & 'Revenge' Adjusted Up; '60 Minutes', 'The Mentalist', '666 Park Ave' & 'American Dad' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved November 6, 2012.
- Bibel, Sara (November 13, 2012). "Sunday Final Ratings: 'Revenge', 'The Mentalist' & 'The Amazing Race' Adjusted Up; '666 Park Avenue' & '60 Minutes' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved November 13, 2012.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (November 20, 2012). "Sunday Final Ratings: 'Family Guy', 'Amazing Race', 'American Dad' and 'The Good Wife' Adjusted Up; 'America's Funniest Home Videos', '60 Minutes' & 'The Simpsons' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved November 20, 2012.
- Bibel, Sara (November 27, 2012). "Sunday Final Ratings: 'Once Upon a Time', 'Family Guy' & 'The Cleveland Show' Adjusted Up; 'The Good Wife' & '60 Minutes' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved November 28, 2012.
- "Daft Punk and The Decemberists appear on 'The Simpsons'". Retrieved November 11, 2012.
- Bibel, Sara (December 11, 2012). "Sunday Final Ratings: 'American Dad' Adjusted Up & Final Football Numbers". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved December 11, 2012.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (December 18, 2012). "Sunday Final Ratings: 'Bob's Burgers' and 'Bachelorette' special Adjusted Up ; 'The Simpsons' adjusted down and Unscrambled Football". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved December 18, 2012.
- Bibel, Sara (January 8, 2013). "Sunday Final Ratings: 'Family Guy', 'Revenge' & 'The Biggest Loser' Adjusted Up; 'The Simpsons' Adjusted Down + Final Football Numbers". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved January 8, 2013.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (January 15, 2013). "Sunday Final Ratings: 'Family Guy' & 'The Mentalist' Adjusted Up; '60 Minutes', 'The Cleveland Show' & 'Happy Endings' Adjusted Down + Final Golden Globes Numbers". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved January 15, 2013.
- Kondolojy, Amanda. "Sunday Final Ratings: 'The Mentalist', 'Family Guy' & 'American Dad' Adjusted Up; 'The Simpsons' Adjusted Down". Zap2it. TV by the Numbers.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (February 12, 2013). "Sunday Final Ratings: 'Family Guy' & 'The Cleveland Show' Adjusted Up; 'The Simpsons', '60 Minutes' & 'Revenge for Real' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved February 12, 2013.
- Bibel, Sara. "Sunday Final Ratings: 'Once Upon a Time', 'The Amazing Race' & 'The Mentalist' Adjusted Up; 'The Good Wife' & 'Bob's Burgers' Adjusted Down". Zap2it. TV by the Numbers.
- Bibel, Sara (March 5, 2013). "Sunday Final Ratings: 'Once Upon a Time', 'The Amazing Race', 'Celebrity Apprentice', 'Red Widow', 'The Cleveland Show', 'America's Funniest Home Videos' Adjusted Up; '60 Minutes', 'The Simpsons' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved March 6, 2013.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (March 12, 2013). "Sunday Final Ratings: 'Once Upon a Time', 'Family Guy', 'Celebrity Apprentice' & 'The Mentalist' Adjusted Up; 'Red Widow' Adjusted Down". Zap2it. TV by the Numbers. Retrieved March 12, 2013.
- Bibel, Sara. "Sunday Final Ratings: 'Once Upon a Time', 'The Amazing Race', 'Family Guy', 'The Cleveland Show, 'The Simpsons, 'Bob's Burgers' & 'The Mentalist' Adjusted Up". Zap2it. TV by the Numbers.
- Bibel, Sara (April 16, 2013). "Sunday Final Ratings: 'The Cleveland Show', 'Once Upon a Time', 'The Amazing Race', 'Family Guy', 'Celebrity Apprentice' & 'American Dad' Adjusted Up; '60 Minutes' Adjusted Down + Final Golf Numbers". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved April 17, 2013.
- Bibel, Sara (April 30, 2013). "Sunday Final Ratings: 'Family Guy', 'The Simpsons', 'The Amazing Race', 'The Mentalist', 'Celebrity Apprentice' & 'America's Funniest Home Videos' Adjusted Up". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved May 1, 2013.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (May 7, 2013). "Sunday Final Ratings: 'The Amazing Race' & 'Celebrity Apprentice' Adjusted Up; 'Red Widow' Adjusted Down + Final FOX Numbers". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved May 8, 2013.
- "Sunday Final Ratings: ‘Survivor’, ‘Once Upon a Time’, ‘The Simpsons’ & ‘Revenge’ Adjusted Up — Ratings". Tvbythenumbers. 2012-12-15. Retrieved 2013-05-14.
- "Sunday Final Ratings: ‘The Simpsons’ & ‘The Cleveland Show’ Adjusted Up, ‘The Billboard Music Awards’, ‘America’s Funniest Home Videos’ & ’60 Minutes’ Adjusted Down". Tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com. Retrieved 2013-05-21.