The Sims 3 (console video game)
||This article appears to be written like an advertisement. (May 2011)|
|The Sims 3|
The Sims 3 box art
|Developer(s)||The Sims Studio
Edge of Reality
|Release date(s)||Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Nintendo DS
|Genre(s)||Life simulation, Social simulation|
Multiplayer (Wii version only)
|Distribution||DVD, Blu-ray, Wii Optical Disc, Nintendo Game Card|
The Sims 3 (The Sims 3D on Nintendo 3DS) is a spin-off of The Sims 3 for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Wii, Nintendo DS, and Nintendo 3DS consoles. It was released on October 26, 2010 for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and Nintendo DS and for the Wii platform on November 15, 2010.
The game has a co-op buddy mode or take on up to three friends in the Life Moments Game on the Wii, upload and download content on Xbox Live and PlayStation Network, including furnishings, houses, and player creations or experience a full life simulation on a handheld with Nintendo DS. Reviews for the game have been mixed.
This is the only game in the Sims 3 series as well the final game in The Sims series for the Wii.
- "Create any Sim you can imagine – give them unique personalities! Fine-tune your Sims’ appearances and personalities. Make them evil, romantic, paranoid, kleptomaniacs, or a mix of something completely different."
- "Unlock all-new Karma Powers. Wield the ultimate control over your Sims giving them wealth, beauty, and love—or take it all away with the click of a button."
- The First Sims Game without killing or homosexual/heterosexual relationships.
- "Control your Sims’ destinies – Choose whether or not to fulfill your Sims’ destinies by making their wishes come true—or letting their dreams die. Will your Sims be rock stars, world leaders, or expert thieves? It’s up to you."
- Complete challenges to unlock additional items, new buildings, and landmarks
- It has been confirmed by IGN that life cycles will be included.
- Kids have been confirmed for the console version and the Nintendo 3DS version of the game.
Xbox 360/PS3 features
- Connect through Xbox Live and PSN to share your creations and download content from other players around the world.
- Connect with Facebook Connect and Twitter and share your achievements with your friends.
- The Xbox 360 and PS3 versions of the game will not have direct controls, but will instead use traditional controls as seen in The Sims 3 PC, and earlier console games such as The Sims Bustin' Out and The Sims.
- The city in 360/PS3 will have short loading times when moving between areas, unlike the PC version.
- Non-Killing/Sexual scenes are removed from the game completely.
- House building is enabled.
- This game will feature weather which can be controlled with Karma Powers.
- New co-op mode where players can join friends. A second player can join the fun as a gnome who can help—or hinder—your Sims. You can also play the new Life Moments Game with up to four players. Bet on life’s most important moments to earn points and garner rewards.
- Some traits, careers, lifetime wishes, and weather will be exclusive to the Wii version of the game.
- The Wii version offers direct control which will give the players the use of the nunchuck controls and the wii remote.
- The beach city can be explored seamlessly with no loading screens, similar to the PC version.
- After kids are born they skip over the "babies & toddlers" life stages.
Nintendo DS features
- The NDS version will allow players to "sculpt" Sims using the stylus.
- Experience a full life simulation on a handheld with Nintendo DS.
Nintendo 3DS features
- Travel to Different Zones with Your Sims.
- Unlock all-new Karma Powers.
- Take a picture of your self or someone else and make the Sim.
- Create Sims in your likeness.
- Trade your Sims with your friends.
Good Karma is Karma that helps your sims and/or other sims. Good Karma includes:
- Divine Intervention – Brings back a Sim's ghost.
- Get Lucky – Gives your Sim a higher chance of succeeding with events, such as socials, raises, promotions, and fishing. (Only available to those who pre-ordered the game)
- Good Times – Removes all bad “moodlets” from an entire household.
- Instant Beauty – Allows players to edit Sims' appearance.
- Super Satisfy – Fulfills all of a Sim's needs.
- Giant Jackpot – Increases household's money balance.
- Stroke of Genius – Accelerates Sims’ skill gain like their cooking, logic or athleticism.
- Bless The Mess – Fixes broken objects and cleans messes.
- Butterfly - Players blow into the microphone to make butterflies appear. (only on the Nintendo 3DS version)
- Cosmic Curse – Cast instant doom upon any Sim. This curse depletes all of the target Sims’ needs.
- Quake Maker –Terrify Sims with an earthquake, breaking objects and creating trash.
- Epic Fail – Any Sims’ worst nightmare; curse any Sim with clumsy fingers and watch chaos ensue. It might be best to cast it in their house and not yours. Make Sims fight, have gas, get demoted or fired, break things, cause fires, and more.
- Fire Storm – Drop fireballs onto a location to cause destruction and mayhem.
- Poltergeist – Make ghosts appear to haunt Sims.
The Sims 3 has been met with mostly positive reviews. It currently holds an average score of 77 and 76 out of 100 on the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions respectively on Metacritic. Game Informer gave the 360 and PS3 versions a 9/10, gushing over the new Karma system and The Exchange. GameSpot gave the game a 7/10, noting that "the game lacks fluidity, but is fun in its own right." In a positive review, IGN praised the game for its controls on consoles, but said they were disappointed by the fact that only one town features in the game and by some performance issues, including the fact that the game will not save once a certain week has been reached.
EA released a Title Update for the Xbox 360 and PS3 on May 17th 2011 to fix an issue that caused the game to freeze when trying to save.
- "The Sims Label Announces Steve Jablonsky as Mastermind Behind the Creative Sound of Sims 3". IGN. 2008-10-23. Retrieved 2008-10-24.
- "Exclusive GDC10 Leak: Sims 3 for Nintendo DS". N-Sider.com. 2010-03-13. Retrieved 2010-03-13.
- var authorId = "192818379" (2010-06-15). "E3 2010: Big List of 3DS Games - DS News at IGN". Ds.ign.com. Retrieved 2010-09-20.
- EA Announces The Sims 3 for Xbox 360, PS3, Wii and DS
- First Details on The Sims 3 for Xbox 360, PS3, Wii and DS
- Anthony Gallegos (2010-06-08). "The Sims 3 Console First Look - PlayStation 3 Preview at IGN". Uk.ps3.ign.com. Retrieved 2010-09-20.
- “”. "The Sims 3 for Console Interview - Sam Player". YouTube. Retrieved 2010-09-20.
- "GamesCom 2010 MegaPost – Late Night, Fast Lane, Medieval, MySims and more!". Simprograms. 2010-08-27. Retrieved 2010-09-20.
- Game Profile from NintendoLife
- The Sims 3 Review for Playstation 3. GameSpot. Retrieved 2011-19-01.