|Country of origin||Canada|
|Running time||22 minutes|
|Original run||3 October 1988 – 21 April 1991|
The Smoggies was a French and Canadian animated children's television show by Cinar that began airing in 1988. In the United States, the show was aired under the name Stop the Smoggies in 1994 on HBO, and in France, as SOS Polluards. In the French part of Canada, it was aired under the name Touftoufs et Polluards. The show was broadcast in Ireland under its original Canadian title.
The show took place on or around the fictional Coral Island, and revolved around a group of island-dwelling people called Suntots and a trio of polluting treasure hunters called the Smoggies. The Suntots spent much of their time defending their island paradise from the Smoggies, who polluted everything around them and lived on a coal fired steam ship, the SS Stinky Poo, which polluted the water and air around the island. The Smoggies constantly tried to destroy the Suntots' home for their own benefits.
Almost every episode had the environmentalist Suntots outsmarting the Smoggies latest scheme, after which the Smoggies invariably hatched another scheme. Thus, the show also explains the importance of protecting the environment.
A recurring theme was their attempt to steal the island's "magic coral" (which the Smoggies believed granted eternal youth), or find some alternative way to maintain youth. The show often implied that the magic coral did not actually exist, however, and were just manifestations of the Smoggies' (mainly Emma's) greed and vanity.
- Emma: The self-appointed leader of the Smoggies, she has a short temper and a fear of growing old, and is always trying to think of a scheme to get her way. She always bosses her two cohorts around, and is obsessed with finding the magic coral, thinking that that is what keeps the Suntots young. Polluto calls her "Miss Emma." She is very determined to acquire what she believes allows The Suntots to stay young, the Magic Coral of Youth, and outright refuses to believe that it simply isn't real. She is also a bully and has no qualms about lying or being deceitful in getting her own way.
- Clarence: Emma's husband and the captain of a polluting coal fired ship called the Stinky-Poo. He is also an inventor and scientist, but his inventions rarely work the right way. Most of the time, he is spineless towards Emma and rarely temperamental, but he can get frustrated himself if things don’t work out. Polluto calls him "the Captain" or "Captain Clarence."
- Polluto: Clarence's only crewmate. He is rather dimwitted, as Emma always points out, but he is the Smoggie with most of the practical skills. He runs the engine room (for some reason, he eats coal and oil), and acts as cook, pilot, mechanic and custodian. He is often shown to have a warm heart, so his polluting tendencies are more related to ignorance and a desire to do his job. Sometimes he is friends with the Suntots but can just as quickly turn against them when ordered to chase them by Emma.
- Princess Lila: Somewhat taller than other Suntots, her hairstyle is entirely dissimilar from the other Suntots; she was therefore not designed with the same template. She is the only one with red hair. The rest of the Suntots regard her as a leader. Emma considers her a thorn in her side, but Princess Lila keeps trying to convince Emma that the magic coral doesn’t exist.
- Speed: Somewhat daring, outspoken and headstrong for a Suntot, his fast-swimming ability earned him his name. He is usually the one to think of a solution to the Suntots' problems. He has bright blue hair, and he and Princess Lila are often partners in their adventures of solving problems; they are the real heroes of the series.
- Chip: The brilliant orange-haired engineer for the Suntots. Chip invents and builds various things, using environmentally friendly methods. A bit quieter than Speed or Princess Lila, he often joins them on their adventures, but is more of a sidekick, as he rarely takes charge of a situation.
- Uncle Boom: The oldest Suntot and only one with white hair. He is the self-appointed mayor of Suntot Town. He makes speeches whenever he gets the chance, but is rather absent-minded and bungling.
- Other Suntots: Other recurring Suntots, besides Princess Lila, Speed, Chip and Uncle Boom, are minor or supporting characters, but most were the focus of one or more episodes. Each is named after one overbearing character trait (often related their job).
- Sport: A yellow-haired all-around talented athlete who wears a sweatband and a number 8 shirt. He is also a bit of a show-off and occasionally acts before thinking. One episode he befriends a bird and ended up being kidnapped by the Smoggies and the Smoggies tied up Sport in a sack. Later, Suntots rescue the bird and him.
- Little: The youngest Suntot, with bluish-green hair. He is childish, playful, curious and short (even for a Suntot) and has a bit of an inferiority complex.
- Cool: A laid-back hipster and musician who prefers to work on his songs than do other work. He has light blue hair and sunglasses, and is usually concerned as to whether something is "cool".
- Miss Doctor: The Suntots' doctor, veterinarian and animal life expert. She is calm, logical, motherly and reserved, and has pale green hair and spectacles.
- Gardener: The Suntots' resident plant life and farming expert. He has dark green hair and spends most of his time growing fruits and vegetables in his greenhouse or on his farm.
- Cookie: She has pink hair, and all Suntots love anything she cooks. Her focus on her cooking sometimes makes her forget about other things.
- Sailor: He sails a boat better than anyone. He has navy blue hair, a moustache, and speaks with stereotypical sailor slang and a thick accent.
- Scaredy: The very easily frightened orange-haired Suntot. Deep down, however, he has hidden courage. He and Sport are best friends.
- Choo-Choo: The orange-haired, sentimental driver of the steam locomotive "No. 9".
- Tricks: The practical joker with orange hair who occasionally likes frightening Scaredy.
- Choosy: The yellow-haired Suntot who can never make up her mind about anything.
- Hobo: Purple-haired Suntot who hates having baths. Apart from Sailor and Uncle Boo, he is the only other Suntot with facial hair.
- Town Crier: The purple-haired Suntot whose only role is to say "Big meeting in the town square!"
- Turtle Tom and Pelican Pete: Of all the Suntots' animal friends, only these two appear to be recurring characters. As they are animals, they do not speak, and mainly serve as transportation.
- Winston: A white sperm whale who communicates with sonar. His archenemy is a giant squid called Old One-Eye.
- Ralph Robin: Polluto’s pet bird (who, in spite of his name is not a robin, but a yellow bird) who rides on Polluto’s head and only speaks in warbles and squawks that Polluto seems able to understand.
|Season 1, Episode 52 – Aired: 11/19/1991
The fumes from Clarence's new vehicle put Suntots and animals to sleep.
|Season 1, Episode 51 – Aired: 11/18/1991
Oil or Nothing
Smoggies drill for oil on Coral Island, causing a huge oil slick and putting nature out of balance.
|Season 1, Episode 50 – Aired: 11/15/1991
The Smoggies cut down an entire forest of trees to build Emma a house. But without the trees, rain washes mud into the water causing a flood.
|Season 1, Episode 49 – Aired: 11/14/1991
The Smoggies' blasting for gold triggers a tidal wave that threatens to destroy Suntot Town.
|Season 1, Episode 48 – Aired: 11/13/1991
Another of Clarence's failed youth potions causes the sea to turn to rubber. Suntots must save the stranded animals before they dry out.
|Season 1, Episode 47 – Aired: 11/12/1991
The Smoggies plant an orchard of cocoa trees using a super fertiliser. But the fertiliser causes the algae in the water to grow out of control.
|Season 1, Episode 46 – Aired: 11/11/1991
Polluto discovers some old waste chemicals turn things to stone. He shoots animals with a water pistol to turn them into statues.
|Season 1, Episode 45 – Aired: 11/8/1991
Buried But Not Gone
Polluto buries the waste fuel from Clarence's new machine on Coral Island. But the fuel emits rays that cause reversal sickness.
|Season 1, Episode 44 – Aired: 11/7/1991
Speed and Leela sneak on board the Stinky Poo but are captured by Polluto. That evening, Polluto has nightmares about his past misdeeds...
|Season 1, Episode 43 – Aired: 11/6/1991
The Smoggies fill the sea with soap so they can get the treasure Suntots were hunting.
|Season 1, Episode 42 – Aired: 11/5/1991
Smoggies try to create fuel oil from the rocks on Coral Island, but in doing so pollute the air. Anything exposed to the pollution becomes aggressive.
|Season 1, Episode 41 – Aired: 11/4/1991
Smoggies trick the Suntots into running on a treadmill to power an ice-making machine. Meanwhile, Emma hypnotises Speed to try and get the Magic Coral.
|Season 1, Episode 40 – Aired: 11/1/1991
The Smoggies accidentally release a cloud of fungal spores from an iceberg, causing an infestation of mushrooms on Coral Island.
|Season 1, Episode 39 – Aired: 10/31/1991
Clarence harvests pearl oysters to make a necklace for Emma's anniversary.
|Season 1, Episode 38 – Aired: 10/30/1991
The Smoggies create belts out of the scales from Radiant Rainbow fish, and sell them to the Suntots. But without the fish to eat it, the seaweed starts growing out of control.
|Season 1, Episode 37 – Aired: 10/29/1991
Black Day In Suntot Town
Clarence creates acid rain so he can sell umbrellas to the Suntots.
|Season 1, Episode 36 – Aired: 10/28/1991
A Feather In Her Cap
Emma captures the Plume Birds to use their tail feathers for making hats.
|Season 1, Episode 35 – Aired: 10/25/1991
The Smoggies dig up Star Sparkles, but in doing so also destroy the Cuddleups' home. They bribe Cool not to tell anyone by giving him a Star Sparkle.
|Season 1, Episode 34 – Aired: 10/24/1991
A Trip To The Rain Forest
The Smoggies cut down trees to make matchsticks, and inadvertently cause a forest fire.
|Season 1, Episode 33 – Aired: 10/23/1991
Suntots have magic seeds that instantly grow trees. Meanwhile, Smoggies dam up the river to try and get the mud at the bottom.
|Season 1, Episode 32 – Aired: 10/22/1991
Off To the Races
Smoggies build a boat to enter the Suntot boat race. But the fumes from the boat poison the Suntots' fruit and Leela gets sick.
|Season 1, Episode 31 – Aired: 10/21/1991
Wild Blue Yonder
The Smoggies' refrigerator explodes making a hole in the Big Ozo. Aircraft get caught in an updraft and dangerous rays come through the hole from space.
|Season 1, Episode 30 – Aired: 10/18/1991
The Smoggies trap all the Suntots at the beach, so they can look through Suntot Town for Magic Coral.
|Season 1, Episode 29 – Aired: 10/17/1991
Smoggies try to kidnap the bees on Coral Island so Emma can get the Queen Bee Jelly.
|Season 1, Episode 28 – Aired: 10/16/1991
Clarence invents a machine to remove salt from sea water. But as the excess salt is dumped in Shark Bay, it endangers the wildlife.
|Season 1, Episode 27 – Aired: 10/15/1991
The Suntots have an election for President of Coral Island. Emma also gets in the running.
|Season 1, Episode 26 – Aired: 10/14/1991
Polluto likes blowing bubbles, so Clarence makes him a giant bubble machine. But these bubbles never pop, and endanger life on Coral Island...
|Season 1, Episode 25 – Aired: 10/11/1991
Never Cry Wolf
Smoggies trick the Suntots into thinking Mt. Coral is about to erupt, hoping Princess Leela will take the Magic Coral with her when evacuating the town.
|Season 1, Episode 24 – Aired: 10/10/1991
The turtles are due to lay their eggs on the Beach of the Whistling Sands. But Emma is feeling homesick, so Clarence builds her a replica city on the beach.
|Season 1, Episode 23 – Aired: 10/9/1991
Under The Rainbow
The Suntots find a new kind of Rainbow Coral. Thinking it's the Magic Coral, Smoggies start harvesting it.
|Season 1, Episode 22 – Aired: 10/8/1991
Ripe for the Picking
Little gets sick, and the Suntots have to take some Sun Apples all the way around the island to ripen them so he can be cured.
|Season 1, Episode 21 – Aired: 10/7/1991
Zombies of Coral Island
Sweet Fruit Pies (made from contaminated fruit) cause the Suntots to turn into zombies and do whatever Emma says.
|Season 1, Episode 20 – Aired: 10/4/1991
Dust To Dust
The Smoggies harvest the clumpy grass on Coral Island to make a youth potion. But without the clumpy grass, the wind causes erosion.
|Season 1, Episode 19 – Aired: 10/3/1991
The Purple Tide
Clarence's shark repellent pollutes the ocean and causes everyone to sing and dance non-stop.
|Season 1, Episode 18 – Aired: 10/2/1991
The Sounds of Music
Cool makes a giant harp, but the vibrations from it cause damage. The Smoggies make an even bigger harp and threaten to destroy Suntot Town unless they get the Magic Coral.
|Season 1, Episode 17 – Aired: 10/1/1991
The Smoggies find a baby dinosaur in the mountains, feed it a growing potion and make it rampage on Coral Island.
|Season 1, Episode 16 – Aired: 9/30/1991
Dr. Jekyll and Mister Polluto (also known as Polluto the Suntot)
Clarence creates a smart potion to be used on Polluto, but instead it inverts his personality and causes him to care about nature.
|Season 1, Episode 15 – Aired: 9/27/1991
Polluto tries going to the Suntots' Nature School, but misinterprets his assignments.
|Season 1, Episode 14 – Aired: 9/26/1991
No Small Problem
Chemicals in the rain cause the Smoggies to shrink to tiny size.
|Season 1, Episode 13 – Aired: 9/25/1991
You Are What You Eat
Smoggies throw garbage into the sea, making Arnold the Shark sick and cranky.
|Season 1, Episode 12 – Aired: 9/24/1991
Which Is Witch
Emma pretends to be a witch and sends the Belching Fire Beast (Polluto in disguise) to set fire to the island.
|Season 1, Episode 11 – Aired: 9/23/1991
Emma's Green Thumb
Emma finds a rare flower that turns into a monster when planted in garbage.
|Season 1, Episode 10 – Aired: 9/20/1991
The Big Heat
Polluto turns up the Stinky Poo's boilers to maximum, causing the temperature on Coral Island to skyrocket.
|Season 1, Episode 9 – Aired: 9/19/1991
Goodbye Engine Number Nine
President Boom decides to retire Engine No. 9 for the new Zoom Train, but it runs away out of control. The train tunnel caves in trapping the Smoggies alive.
|Season 1, Episode 8 – Aired: 9/18/1991
A Long Way From Home
The Suntots find a lost Kiwi, and the Smoggies kidnap it and Sport because there's a map home in its backpack.
|Season 1, Episode 7 – Aired: 9/17/1991
A Smoggies' Birthday
Clarence tries to harvest the fur from Cuddleups to make a fur coat for Emma.
|Season 1, Episode 6 – Aired: 9/16/1991
The Smoggies enter the Coral Cup race, and attempt to sabotage the other boats so they can win.
|Season 1, Episode 5 – Aired: 9/13/1991
Another of Clarence's failed experiments results in Emma switching voices with whoever she hears.
|Season 1, Episode 4 – Aired: 9/12/1991
Size Isn't Everything
Clarence invents a growing potion to be used on Little, but Polluto uses it instead and turns into a giant.
|Season 1, Episode 3 – Aired: 9/11/1991
Clarence empties a hair-remover into the Suntots water supply, causing all the Suntots to go bald.
|Season 1, Episode 2 – Aired: 9/10/1990
Don't Bug The Bugs
Emma's spraying of chemical pesticide backfires as the bugs grow to gigantic size.
|Season 1, Episode 1 – Aired: 9/9/1991
Leader of The Pack
The Smoggies turn a pack of whales against the Suntots. When the whales beach themselves, the Suntots come to the rescue.
On 26 September 2006, a DVD entitled Stop The Smoggies - Anti-Pollution Revolution DVD was released.
The main title theme was written by Joe Raposo, who also wrote themes for Sesame Street, Shining Time Station, Three's Company, and The Electric Company. This song was also composed by Judy Henderson, who also wrote themes for Arthur, Mona the Vampire, and Sagwa, the Chinese Siamese Cat.
- "Kids Shows that Aim to Raise Awareness as Well as Entertain". LA Times. 1995-04-09. Retrieved 2010-08-24.
- "The Smoggies". Retrieved 2009-06-28.
- "Smoggies!". The New York Times. Retrieved 2009-06-28.