||This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2009)|
|Origin||Hartlepool, United Kingdom|
|Labels||Clean Up Records
Tommy Boy Records
|Past members||Kelli Dayton
Sneaker Pimps was a British trip-hop band formed in Hartlepool, England in 1994. They are best known for their first album Becoming X (released in 1996) and particularly the singles "6 Underground", "Spin Spin Sugar", and "Tesko Suicide" from the same album. They took their name from an article the Beastie Boys published in their Grand Royal magazine about a man they hired to track down classic sneakers.
The band's founding members were Liam Howe and Chris Corner, who then recruited Kelli Dayton (formerly of Lumieres, now recording under the name Kelli Ali) for vocal duties and long-time friend Ian Pickering to provide lyrics. After the first album, the band felt that demos for the second album (on which Corner provided the guide vocals) better suited his voice, especially in regard to the more raw, personal quality of the lyrics. Following the promotional tour for Becoming X, Kelli was dismissed from the group, and Corner became the singer.
Side projects 
|This section requires expansion. (July 2012)|
Chris Corner began working on a side project in 2003 and released five solo albums in 2004, 2006, 2009, 2011 and 2013 under the moniker IAMX titled Kiss + Swallow, The Alternative, Kingdom of Welcome Addiction, Volatile Times and The Unified Field. He has also sung guest vocals for TNT Jackson, Moonbootica and The Strike Boys, as well as produced material for Robots in Disguise. Corner also collaborated with Sue Denim from Robots in Disguise, under the name Sibling.
Liam Howe has become a successful writer / producer and has written and produced the likes of Marina and the Diamonds, Lana Del Rey and Ellie Goulding, he is signed to Columbia records for his solo project which includes collaborations from Alan Vega, Neneh Cherry and Princess Superstar. David Westlake[clarification needed] currently plays drums in Trash Money, has done session work for Natalie Imbruglia, Mediaeval Baebes, Zero-G, and played drums with Ultrafox on tour.
Kelli Ali (Dayton) recorded her third solo album Rocking Horse at the beginning of 2008 and released it through One Little Indian late Autumn 2008. She is quoted as saying this is a very different affair from her two previous solo albums, Tigermouth and Psychic Cat. Rocking Horse was produced by Max Richter.
Ian Pickering is a lyricist/songwriter currently writing and recording with the band Polaroid Kiss with Brandun Reed whose debut album 'Weakness of the Beautiful Souls' is due for release in 2011. He wrote lyrics for a number of tracks on the IAMX albums "Kiss + Swallow" and "The Alternative" and released the album All These Lines Make Noises in 2005 as singer/songwriter/lyricist with the band transporter. He is also currently contributing lyrics to a number of other projects and has previously written lyrics for Anomie Belle, Natalie Imbruglia, Neil Barnes from Leftfield and The SuperDead.
In the studio, the band share instrumental duties, however in the live environment they could usually be observed playing the following:
- Chris Corner (guitar, synthesiser, vocals)
- Liam Howe (synthesiser)
- Joe Wilson (bass)
- David Westlake (drums and sampling)
- Ian Pickering (Lyrics)
- Chris Tate (friend of Joe Wilson and stand-in for Liam Howe on synthesiser during Bloodsport)
- Kelli Dayton (ex-vocalist, asked to leave after making their first album Becoming X)
- Becoming X (1996) – #27 UK, #111 U.S., #1 U.S. Heatseekers – BPI: Gold
- Becoming Remixed (1998) – #24 U.S. Heatseekers
- Splinter (1999) - #80 UK
- Bloodsport (2002) – #16 U.S. Electronic, #46 U.S. Indie
- SP4 (unreleased) – most songs ended up on Chris Corner's IAMX project
|Year||Song||UK Singles Chart||U.S. Hot 100||U.S. Modern Rock||U.S. Hot Dance Club Play||Album|
|1996||"Tesko Suicide"||-||-||-||-||Becoming X|
|1996||"Roll On"||-||-||-||-||Becoming X|
|1996||"6 Underground"||15||-||-||-||Becoming X|
|1997||"Spin Spin Sugar"||21||87||-||-||Becoming X|
|1997||"6 Underground (re-issued)"||9||45||7||-||Becoming X|
|1997||"Spin Spin Sugar (remixes)"||46||-||-||2||Becoming X|
|1997||"Post Modern Sleaze"||22||-||-||-||Becoming X|
|1999||"Ten To Twenty"||56||-||-||-||Splinter|
|2002||"Loretta Young Silks"||-||-||-||-||Bloodsport|
|2005||"Low Five (digital remix EP)"||n/a||n/a||n/a||n/a||The Mix You Miss website|
|2005||"Loretta Young Silks (digital remix EP)"||n/a||n/a||n/a||n/a||The Mix You Miss website|
- Also the song Velvet Divorce on the A Life Less Ordinary soundtrack, and a collaboration track with Marilyn Manson on the Spawn soundtrack, The Long Hard Road out of Hell.
Promo singles 
- 2002 "Kiro TV"
- 2002 "M'Aidez"
- Sneaker Pimps Official Website (archived)
- Sneaker Pimps Unofficial Website (including discography) (links to download or play music/videos are broken or no longer work)
- Sneaker Pimps Unofficial italian Website
- Kelli Ali – official website
- Kelli Ali Interview for WeirdMusic.net magazine
- Band members' comments about their songs (archive.org copy)
- Trash Money Official Website
- Gashaus Profile with concert photos from June 21st 1997 in Prague's Akropolis