The Snow Leopard
|The Snow Leopard|
|Genre||Travel literature, Natural history|
|Media type||Print (hardcover & paperback)|
|Pages||338 pp (hardcover)|
|LC Class||QH193.H5 M37 1978|
The Snow Leopard is a 1978 book by Peter Matthiessen. It is an account of his two-month search for the snow leopard with naturalist George Schaller in the Dolpo region on the Tibetan Plateau in the Himalayas.
Awards and acclaim
The Snow Leopard won the 1979 National Book Award in the category Contemporary Thought and the 1980 National Book Award for Nonfiction (paperback). It has garnered more critical acclaim since then. It has been included in several lists of best travel books including World Hum's ten most celebrated books, Washington Post Book World's Travel Books That Will Take You Far, and National Geographic Traveler's Around the World in 80+ Books.
- "National Book Awards – 1979". National Book Foundation. Retrieved 2012-02-21.
- "National Book Awards – 1980". National Book Foundation. Retrieved 2012-02-21.
Some dual awards for hardcover and paperback books were conferred from 1980 to 1983, when both Fiction and Nonfiction were also subdivided in other ways.
- Powell's Books — The Snow Leopard (Penguin Nature Classics)
- ten most celebrated books
- Travel Books That Will Take You Far
- Around the World in 80+ Books[dead link]