The Son (film)
Original French release poster
|Directed by||Jean-Pierre Dardenne
|Produced by||Jean-Pierre Dardenne
|Written by||Jean-Pierre Dardenne
|Edited by||Marie-Hélène Dozo|
Les Films du Fleuve
|Distributed by||Diaphana Films (France)
New Yorker Films (US)
Olivier, a carpenter by trade who teaches at a trades training center, knowingly takes on Francis Thorion, the murderer of his son, as an apprentice. Francis is unaware of his connection with Olivier from five years ago. Olivier, tormented by the loss of his son and his separation from his wife, develops a slight obsession with Francis. He stalks him home, steals his keys and explores his apartment, whilst slowly discovering more about the boy. Francis looks up to Olivier, seeing him as a surrogate role-model. With this on his mind, Olivier is ultimately torn between hatred for the murderer of his son and the moral ambiguity of accepting this child from a broken home and disillusioned past.
- Olivier Gourmet as Olivier
- Morgan Marinne as Francis Thorion
- Isabella Soupart as Magali
- Nassim Hassaïni as Omar
- Kevin Leroy as Raoul
- Félicien Pitsaer as Steve
- Rémy Renaud as Philippo
- Annette Closset as Training center director
- Fabian Marnette as Rino
- Jimmy Deloof as Dany
- Anne Gerard as Dany's mother
|This section requires expansion. (September 2012)|
Luc Dardenne wrote a comment about The Son in his book Au dos de nos images. Magali, the ex-wife of Olivier is very astonished that Olivier took Francis, the murderer of their son, into his workshop . She says to Olivier, "Nobody would do that." He answers, "I know." And she replies, "Then, why do you do it?" He answers, "I don't know." And Luc Dardenne wrote "We don't know either."
The film received the André Cavens Award for Best Film by the Belgian Film Critics Association (UCC). Roger Ebert ranked the film No. 7 on his list of the best films of the decade (2000–2009). Paste Magazine named it one of the 50 Best Movies of the Decade (2000–2009), ranking it at #8.
- "LES FILS - THE SON (12A)". British Board of Film Classification. 2003-01-22. Retrieved 2012-12-29.
- The Son at Box Office Mojo
- French: Il y a quelque chose d'impossible dans ce que fait Olivier. Magali a sans doute raison de lui dire: 'Pourquoi tu le fais alors?', et il a sans doute raison de lui répondre: 'Je ne sais pas.' Nous non plus, on ne sait pas. Quoted from Au dos de nos images, Seuil, Paris, 2005 (first published) and 2008 (pocket book), p.127. ISBN 978-2-7578-0891-7
- "Festival de Cannes: The Son". festival-cannes.com. Retrieved 25 October 2009.
- "The best films of the decade". Chicago Sun-Times.
- "The 50 Best Movies of the Decade (2000–2009)". Paste Magazine. 3 November 2009. Retrieved 14 December 2011.