The Sorrow of Mrs. Schneider
|The Sorrow of Mrs. Schneider|
|Directed by||Piro Milkani, Eno Milkani|
|Produced by||Piro Milkani
|Written by||Piro Milkani
|Music by||Milan Kymlicka|
The Sorrow of Mrs. Schneider, also known as The Sadness of Mrs. Schneider or The Sadness of Mrs. Snajdrova (Albanian: Trishtimi i zonjës Shnajder, Czech: Smutek paní Snajdrové) is an Albanian-Czech romantic drama film directed by Piro Milkani and Eno Milkani. It is a movie of strong autobiographical elements and includes a three-nation cast: Albanian-Czech-Italian. It was released in 2008 and was the Albanian submission of the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film for that same year, but wasn't nominated.
It is 1961 and an Albanian student (Nik Xhelilaj) of the Academy of Performing Arts in Prague, together with a group of Czech students, is shooting his graduate movie on a motorcycle factory, in the small market-town of Český Šternberk, in then Czechoslovakia. Coming from a country that is completely isolated from the rest of Europe, he is fascinated by the lifestyle, society and "erotic exuberance" of the Czech golden youth, yet feeling strong links with his family in his homeland. He falls in love with a married woman (Anna Geislerová), the wife of a police superintendent (Paolo Buglioni) and is insecure about his future.
- Nik Xhelilaj as Lekë Seriani
- Anna Geislerová as Mrs. Snajderová
- Tomáš Töpfer as Director Piskácek
- Michele Placido as Count Jiri Sternberg
- Arta Dobroshi as Ema
- Paolo Buglioni as Mr. Snajder
- Kamil Kollarik as Artur Zach
- Violeta Manushi
- Release dates for The Sadness of Mrs. Snajdrova
- ""Trishtimi i zonjës Shnajder", në garën për cmimin Oskar" (in Albanian). ALSAT.tv. 27 October 2008. Retrieved 2011-02-24.[dead link]
- "The Sorrow of Mrs. Schneider". Film affinity. Retrieved 2011-02-24.