The Southern Quill
The Southern Quill 2009 cover
|Publisher||Dixie State College of Utah|
The Southern Quill is the annual literary magazine published by Dixie State College of Utah (DSC) since 1950 or 51. The magazine includes poetry, short stories, photographs, sketches, as well as non-fiction works such as literature reviews and essays, created by residents of Washington County, Utah and Kane County, Utah. DSC students edit The Quill under the supervision of a college faculty Advising Editor.
The Quill’s editing staff automatically considers all poetry submitted by DSC students for The Annie Atkin Tanner Memorial Poetry Scholarship.
Through the years, The Southern Quill's history has fogged, and no one quite knows what date Juanita Brooks founded the magazine. Contradictory reports exist, including how the 1981 Southern Quill lists the date as 1951, while the 2008 Southern Quill litsts it as 1950.
Either way, the Southern Quill has also had several breaks in its publication. The years 1954-57 saw no Quill published due to lack of funds. The same is true of 1959-60, and 1967–68, though during both of those times materials were gathered but never published. And finally, DSC did not publish The Quill in 2002, but for unknown reasons.
The Southern Quill has now been continuously published since 2003.
The Annie Atkin Tanner Memorial Poetry Scholarship Fund
Dr. Vasco M. Tanner established the Annie Atkin Tanner Memorial Poetry Scholarship to honor his wife in 1972. Since then, the Tanner family has continued their involvement with the fund, by choosing the first, second, and third place winners every year, based on The Southern Quill editing staff’s top ten recommendations. The editors consider all of the poetry submitted by Dixie State College students for the award.
- Unknown (2009). "DSC Literary Magazine". Dixie State College. Retrieved 2009-11-12.
- Unknown (2007). "Submissions Wanted, "The Southern Quill"". Dixie Weekly News. Retrieved 2009-11-12.
- Stephen B. Armstrong, ed. (2008). The Southern Quill 2008. St. George, UT: Dixie State College.
- Stephen B. Armstrong, ed. (2009). The Southern Quill 2009. St. George, UT: Dixie State College.
- Ace G. Pilkington, ed. (1981). The Southern Quill 1981. St. George, UT: Dixie State College.