The Spaceship Company
|Founded||Mojave, California (2005)|
|Key people||Doug Shane, Exec VP and General Manager
Enrico Palermo, VP Operations
Burt Rutan and Richard Branson, founders;
|Products||spacecraft and aircraft production|
|Employees||145 (June 2013)|
|Website||The Spaceship Company|
The Spaceship Company (also known as TSC) is a spacecraft manufacturing company that was founded by Burt Rutan and Richard Branson in mid-2005 and was jointly owned by Virgin Group (70%) and Scaled Composites (30%) until 2012 when Virgin Galactic became the sole owner. TSC was formed to own the technology created by Scaled for Virgin Galactic's Virgin SpaceShip program. This includes developments on the care-free reentry system and cantilevered-hybrid rocket motor, licensed from Paul Allen and Burt Rutan's Mojave Aerospace. The company is manufacturing Virgin Galactic's spacecraft and will sell spacecraft to other buyers. The suborbital launch system offered will include the SpaceShipTwo spacecraft and the White Knight Two carrier aircraft.
The company was founded in 2005 by Burt Rutan and Richard Branson, and was initially jointly owned by Virgin Group and Scaled Composites, to own the technology created by Scaled for Virgin Galactic's Virgin SpaceShip program. Virgin Galactic was announced to be the launch customer for the SpaceShipTwo and WhiteKnightTwo vehicles. Virgin placed an initial order for five SpaceShipTwos and two WhiteKnightTwos, with "exclusive use of the systems for the initial 18 months of commercial passenger operations."
Since the first WK2 and the first SS2 were built by Scaled Composites, TSC has responsibility for the manufacture of the second WK2 aircraft and the second SS2 spacecraft for Virgin Galactic, as well as additional production craft as other customers for the vehicles emerge.
In March 2010, following the construction of the initial prototypes of WhiteKnightTwo and SpaceShipTwo by Scaled Composites, The Spaceship Company is currently moving the aircraft and spacecraft into commercial production.
In November 2010, TSC broke ground on a new 68,000-square-foot (6,300 m2) aircraft assembly plant at Mojave Air and Space Port in Mojave, California. The manufacturing facility was expected to employ "up to 170 people when production is in full swing."
In July 2011, TSC announced it would begin production of "the first sections for a second WhiteKnightTwo (WK2) carrier aircraft along with the first of multiple SpaceShipTwo (SS2) suborbital vehicles for Virgin Galactic and, ultimately, other customers" in the "Final Assembly, Integration and Test Hangar" (FAITH) in the fall of 2011.
In September, 2011, TSC completed construction of the new plant, on schedule, for US$8,000,000. The production of the new spacecraft—initially three WhiteKnightTwo aircraft and five of the smaller SpaceShipTwo rocket planes—was also planned to commence before the end of that month.
The FAITH hangar is intended to be used for building the one-piece composite spars and wing for WK2, fuselage lay-up for both WK2 and SS2, and "will also be used for major maintenance and will serve as the company’s operating headquarters."
- The SpaceShip Company, Virgin Galactic press release, 2010-01-21, accessed 2010-03-24.
- Lindsey, Clark (2013-06-28). "Doug Shane named Executive VP and General Manager of The Spaceship Company". NewSpace Watch. Retrieved 2013-06-29. (subscription required (. ))
- Mayer, Steven (2013-04-25). "Tourist spaceship may take key flight on Monday". Bakersfield Californian. Retrieved 2013-04-27.
- Messier, Doug (2013-06-28). "Ex-Scaled Composites Boss Doug Shane Moves Over to The Spaceship Company". Parabolic Arc. Retrieved 2013-11-03.
- "Virgin Galactic acquires full ownership of The Spaceship Company" (Press release). The Spaceship Company. 2012-10-05. Retrieved April 4, 2013.
- See section headed "SPACESHIPONE" at the FAQ Page of Scaled Composites' website for more details.
- Norris, Guy (2011-07-08). "An Inside Look At A New Spaceship Factory". Aviation Week and Space Technology. Retrieved 2011-07-08.
- "Virgin Galactic Announces LauncherOne – A Satellite Launcher for WhiteKnightTwo" (Press release). The Spaceship Company. 2012-06-11. Retrieved April 4, 2013.
- "Richard Branson and Burt Rutan Form Spacecraft Building Company". SPACE.com. 2005-07-27. Retrieved 2009-10-17.
- "Branson And Rutan Launch New Spaceship Manufacturing Company". ScienceDaily. 2005-07-28. Retrieved 2009-10-17.
- Spacecraft factory to break ground in Mojave, Los Angeles Times, 2010-11-08, accessed 2010-11-09.
- "Virgin Galactic Acquires Full Ownership of The Spaceship Company". Yahoo Finance. 2012-10-05. Retrieved 2012-10-06.
- Welcome To TSC, The Spaceship Company webpage, accessed 2010-03-24. Quotation: "TSC has contracted Scaled Composites to develop and build prototypes of WK2 and SS2 and TSC is now taking these prototypes into commercial production."
- Hennigan, W.J. (2011-09-20). "Firm completes spacecraft factory in Mojave". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2011-09-20.
- Norris, Guy (2011-09-24). "SpaceShipTwo Maker Opens For Business". Aviation Week and Space Technology. Retrieved 2011-09-24.
- "Branson and Rutan Form 'The Spaceship Company' To Jointly Manufacture and Market Spaceships for the new Sub-Orbital Personal Spaceflight Industry" (Press release). Scaled Composites. July 27, 2005. Retrieved 2007-09-04.
- The Spaceship Company
- Virgin Galactic video on TSC, as of the opening of the second hangar facility, September, 2011.