The Spanish Main
|The Spanish Main|
Binnie Barnes in the film
|Directed by||Frank Borzage|
|Produced by||Frank Borzage (uncredited)
Robert Fellows (executive producer)
Stephen Ames (associate producer)
|Written by||Aeneas MacKenzie (story)
George Worthing Yates
Herman J. Mankiewicz
|Music by||Hanns Eisler|
|Distributed by||RKO Radio Pictures|
|Running time||100 min.|
The Spanish Main (1945) is an adventure film starring Paul Henreid, Maureen O'Hara, Walter Slezak and Binnie Barnes, and directed by Frank Borzage. It was RKO's first all-Technicolor film since Becky Sharp ten years before.
Cinematographer George Barnes received an Academy Award nomination for Best Color Cinematography. Though a box office hit upon its first release, the film is chiefly remembered today for its lavish and intricate score by Hanns Eisler.
Dutch sea captain Laurent van Horn (Henreid) is shipwrecked off the coast of the Spanish settlement of Cartagena. After being held and sentenced to death, van Horn and his crew manage to escape. They capture Francisca Alvarado (O'Hara) who has been arranged to marry the corrupt governor (Slezak). Over time Francisca and van Horn become attracted to each other and must set out to defeat villainous local politicians and treacherous pirates.
The film includes the character Anne Bonny (Barnes), in a fictionalized account of a real-life well-known female pirate.
- Maureen O'Hara as Francisca Alvarado
- Paul Henreid as Capt. Laurent Van Horn
- Walter Slezak as Don Juan Alvarado
- Binnie Barnes as Anne Bonny
- John Emery as Du Billar
- Barton MacLane as Capt. Black
The film was successful and made a profit of $1,485,000.
- "The Spanish Main: Detail View". American Film Institute. Retrieved April 28, 2014.
- Variety film review; October 3, 1945, page 20.
- Harrison's Reports film review; October 6, 1945, page 158.
- Richard Jewell & Vernon Harbin, The RKO Story. New Rochelle, New York: Arlington House, 1982. p. 206
- The Spanish Main at the American Film Institute Catalog
- The Spanish Main at the Internet Movie Database
|This article about an adventure film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|