The Spoilers (1914 film)
Theatrical poster for The Spoilers
|Directed by||Colin Campbell
Alfred E. Green (asst. dir.)
|Produced by||William Nicholas Selig|
|Written by||Rex Beach (novel/play)
|Distributed by||General Film Company|
|9 reels (1914 release)
110 minutes (1916 re-release)
|Box office||$1 million|
The Spoilers (1914) is a film directed by Colin Campbell. The film is set in Nome, Alaska during the 1898 Gold Rush, with William Farnum as Roy Glennister, Kathlyn Williams as Cherry Malotte, and Tom Santschi as Alex McNamara. The film culminates in a spectacular saloon fistfight between Glennister and McNamara. In 1916, an expanded version was released, running 110 minutes.
The film was adapted to screen by Lanier Bartlett from the Rex Beach novel of the same name. The film was remade in 1923 (with Noah Beery as McNamara), 1930 (with Gary Cooper as Glennister and Betty Compson as Malotte), 1942 (with John Wayne as Glennister, Randolph Scott as McNamara, and Marlene Dietrich as Malotte), and 1955 (with Jeff Chandler as Glennister, Rory Calhoun as McNamara, and Anne Baxter as Malotte). All of the films feature a lengthy, intense fight sequence.
- William Farnum - Roy Glenister
- Kathlyn Williams - Cherry Malotte
- Thomas Santschi - Alex McNamara
- Bessie Eyton - Helen Chester
- Frank Clark - Dextry (billed; Frank M. Clark)
- Jack McDonald - Slap Jack (billed; Jack F. McDonald)
- Wheeler Oakman - Drury, The Broncho Kid
- Norval MacGregor - Judge Stillman
- William Ryno - Struve
- Marshall Farnum - Lawyer Wheatin
- Jules White - ?
- Cleo Ridgely - ?
The film exists in the Raymond Rohauer (Cohen Media Group) collection in an incomplete print.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to The Spoilers (1914 film).|
- The Spoilers at the Internet Movie Database
- The Spoilers (1914) at SilentEra
- The Spoilers (1914) at YouTube
|This 1910s drama film-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|