The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie (video game)
|The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie|
Original North American PS2 cover art
|Developer(s)||Heavy Iron Studios (PS2, GC, Xbox)
AWE Games (PC)
WayForward Technologies (GBA)
Aspyr Media (Mac)
July 16, 2005
The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie is a video game based on the film of the same name, which is a complement of SpongeBob SquarePants. It was created on the same engine as SpongeBob SquarePants: Battle for Bikini Bottom on the console version of The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie video game. The game was released on the PlayStation 2, Game Boy Advance, Xbox and the Nintendo GameCube.
The plot of the video game is very similar to the film. King Neptune's crown has been stolen by Plankton and SpongeBob and Patrick must retrieve it from where Plankton sold it to: Shell City. A few areas in the game are not seen in the film, such as the level "Drive of the Knucklehead-McSpazatron", where SpongeBob and Patrick must drive through Planktopolis to get to the Krusty Krab, and where SpongeBob and Patrick must escape Gooberland (their dreams) by following the Goofy Goober in the Patty Wagon. And later again to the Krusty Krab 2, in the Patty Wagon (requiring several Goober Tokens to get it back as this is in their reality, not their dreams).
The PC vision is like Spongebob Squarepants: Empolyee of the Month except you can play as other characters besides Spongebob. The story begins with Spongebob waking up excited about Mr. Krabs openning the Krusty Krab 2. He then prepares to go to work, but he must get dressed and brush his teeth. He tries to open the crest that has his clothes inside, but it's stuck. He takes his alarm clock and goes downstairs. In the kitchen he find a spatula and uses it to open the crest and find his clothes inside. After getting dressed, he goes to his bathroom and finds his toothbrush; however there's no toothpaste. He knows that Squidward has some so he goes to visit him. But Squidward won't let him borrow his toothpaste, so Spongebob must find a way to distract him. After turning off his radio, he visits Patrick who is watching a blank TV. Spongebob notices that Patrick is using his remote. Patrick didn't enjoy getting up, so Spongebob gets some ice from his fridge for Patrick's Kelpsi. However Patrick didn't like it cause it's "cold". He nevertheless gives Spongebob his remote. After turning off his TV, Spongebob goes outside and finds a repairman working on a telephone box. Spongebob scares him off with his alarm clock and fixes it himself. Spongebob calls Squidward some he can sneak into his bathroom and get his toothpaste. After brushing his teeth he goes to work.
Meanwhile Plankton is planning another one of his evil plots to steal the krabby patty formula. He speaks with Karen for advice, who tells him there's one plan he didn't try yet: Plan Z. He finds a wrench and a mop and looks for Plan Z in his file cabinet. The plan says to steal King Neptune's crown and frame Mr. Krabs for it. His Robot Spongebob is guarding his jet pack that he needed to get to Neptune's castle, so he tries throwing the wrench at him. The robot still doesn't move, so Plankton uses the mop to mess up the menu to get the robot to come and fix it. After getting his jet pack he travels to Neptune's castle (avoiding jellyfish along the way) and gets a horseshoe from the ranch and a thread from the libery. He uses them to make a lasso and uses it to climb up and press a button to open the door to the throne room. After stealing the crown, he sells it to Shell City. King Neptune screams in horror when he discovers his crown has been stolen.
Back at the Krusty Krab, Squidward was made manager instead of Spongebob since he thinks Spongebob is still a kid. After a embarssing night at Goofy Goobers with Patrick, Spongebob returns to the Krusty Krab only to find that King Neptune has frozen Mr. Krabs and will kill him if the crown isn't returned in three days. Mindy, Neptune's daughter tries to talk some sense into him, but Neptune was very stubborn. Spongebob attempts to get Neptune's crown back, save Mr. Krabs, and prove that he is a man. He begins to go on a quest to get to the patty mobile in the garage under the Krusty Krab. Squidward has been given a keycard to the elevator to the garage but has lost it near some tables where a boy and a girl use to be. Spongebob finds tongs in the kitchen and goes to the Krusty Krab 2 and talks to the girl there who explains that her friend Monty has the keycard and is at Goofy Goober's. He talks with Monty who will trade it for some fried ice cream. After getting a normal ice cream from the owner, he returns to the Krusty Krab 2 and dumps the ice cream in a boiling pot with the tongs and delivers it to Monty who gives him the keycard. He returns to the Krusty Krab and uses the keycard to use the elevator to get to the garage where Patrick is waiting. The duo set off to Shell City in the patty mobile.
After passing some crazy gas station owners, a thug shows up and steals the patty mobile, forcing the duo to travel by foot. They talk with the gas station owners who mention the Goofy Goober song in which one of them goes inside to throw away the song he had. Spongebob takes it out of the trash and he and Patrick continue down the road. They arrive at the Thug Tug where they find the patty mobile. They then plan to steal back the key from the thug. When entering, Patrick runs off to use the bathroom and Spongebob finds some soap he can use to distract the thugs, but there was no more soap. He talks with a two guys who are fused togather who were talking to the owner and they were also trying to remember the Goofy Goober song (they would be in trouble if they mention it). After giving them the song sheet, they leave and Spongebob talks with the grumpy owner that there's no soap in the bathroom. After he refills the soap dispenser, Spongebob uses it to create lots of bubbles which distracts the thugs and allowing them to take the keys back and escape the Thug Tug. Meanwhile, Mindy has been grounded and plan to escape from her father's castle and help Spongebob and Patrick.
Mindy finds a dirty mirror in her closet and some glue on her dresser. She opens the window and puts some glue on it and tricks the guard who has been ordered to not let her leave to look out the window which causes him to get stuck. This allows her to escape, but Dolly the ranch hand won't let her take the sea horses she needed for the cariage, so she must find a way to distract her. Mindy finds a dungeon book and goes to the dungeon after hearing the news that the crown polisher is in there. She gives the book to the owner of the dungeon and convinces him to let her go in. She asks the crown polisher to clean her mirror and gives it to the jester who has a crush on Dolly so he can go talk to her. This allows Mindy to take the sea horses and get to Spongebob and Patrick.
After Mindy catches up to them, it turns out that they had lost their car again and had no courage to go on. To encourage them, Mindy creates fake mustashes to make them think their men. They come across a really foggy abyss in which they must find some way to get across. The come across a hotel in which a guest named Mrs. Ellen tells them that her pearls have been stolen. Spongebob borrows a flashlight from an explorer in a cave and discover a room under the hotel. The room belong to a clam who has taken the stolen pearls. They return them to their owner who gives them an orb that left behind in her room. Spongebob returns to the cave and meets on old man who tells him he need the focusing orb to get through the abyss. Spongebob already has it so the doors in the back unlock and he puts the orb in place and he and Patrick follow the light through the abyss. Meanwhile, Plankton has sent an assasion named Dennis to stop them.
They come across two men who are gang members who dislike Dr. Louis. Spongebob and Patrick aren't allowed in since they don't have spines, so they take spines from an urchin and manage to dupe the nurse into letting them see Dr. Louis. After he tells him about what was going on outside he gives Spongebob a stefascope as a peace offering for their leader Octavio. He gets a uniform from one of the members and uses hot water to shrink it so he can wear it. He enters a store where he tells the owner of the store the password he also got from a member to see Octavio. After giving him the peace offering (the stefascope) he is delighted and decides to talk things over with Dr. Louis. The due continue their journey to Shell City only to encounter Dennis who tries to stomp them, but he is crushed by a giant foot. That foot turns out to belong to a cyclops diver who captures Spongebob and Patrick.
The duo wake up to find themselves in a gift shop, where the cyclops puts them under a heating lamp and leaves. The begin complaning over their failure to get to Shell City until they notice that the gift shop is Shell City and there was the crown. Spongebob dies, forcing Patrick to find a way to revive Spongebob. He climbs on the counter and slams on the cash regeister button causing it to push over a nearby lunch box. He find an onion half and uses it to make himself cry and revive Spongebob, also disabling the heat lamp and activiting the sprinkers. They grab the crown and exit the shop. Patrick decides to ride the (dolphin sound) which can carry them back to Bikini Bottom. Spongebob finds a shovel-shaped shell and a stick. Using some tar to stick them togather they dig up a whisle and use it to call the (dolphin sound) who carries them back to Bikini Bottom.
After getting back to Bikini Bottom, they discover that everyone, including King Neptune, are under Plakton's control. Patrick runs off, leaving Spongebob to handle this alone. He comes acroos a guitar player, who not under Plankton's control, who also advices him to get the speaker from the Krusty Krab and the reverse polarity from the chum bucket to destroy the mind controlling helmets. After getting them, he discovers that the guitar player is now under Plankton's control, so he grabs his amp. and guitar and puts all four items togather. Spongebob admits to Plankton that he may be a kid, but he's a man on the inside and plays the guitar, successfully destroying the helmets. Plankton is arrested and Neptune, now a nicer king, unfreezes Mr. Krabs and Mindy earns her father's trust. Spongebob, who still knows he's a kid had proved that he's also a man.
Console versions - The gameplay is similar to that from the previous game, Battle for Bikini Bottom. There are 18 levels in the game that loosely follow the storyline of the movie. In each level, there are many different types of "tasks":
- Platforming, taken majorly from level concepts in Battle for Bikini Bottom.
- "Spongeball" returning minorly from SpongeBob SquarePants: Battle for Bikini Bottom, are levels which are a spinoff of Super Monkey Ball.
- "Floating Block Challenges" where Patrick must navigate through a bunch of blocks (with many conditions like bouncing, disappearing, spikes, and rotation), taken from minor appearances in Battle for Bikini Bottom.
- "Combat Arena Challenges" where you defeat 3 waves of enemies.
- "Sonic Wave Guitar" challenges where SpongeBob must direct a flying guitar wave through rings.
- Driving challenges using mini-tubs and cars; each challenge has the main challenge where you get to the end, 2 time challenges and a ring challenge.
- 4 boss battles.
- Plan Z Crates - These are, in fact, crates with Plan Z Signs on them. They are easy to defeat, and are like the Ordinary Tiki from BFBB. They also earn you Manliness Points.
- Manliness Points - These are weights, which they are points that can upgrade moves and health, such as defeating an enemy or destroying crates.
- Plan Z Balloon Box - These crates float up in the air with a special balloon, and can only be defeated by using SpongeBob's Bash Move. Similar to the Floating Tiki from BFBB.
- Plan Z Supply Computer - These are tricky to defeat, and disappear when you get too close. These can only be defeated when using SpongeBob's Spongebowl and Sonic Wave, or Patrick's Throw. Similar to the Shhh Tiki from BFBB.
- Thunder Barrel Crate - These look like TNT barrels, which explode, and you get hurt if you get too close after touching it. Similar to Thunder Tiki from BFBB.
- Treasure Chests - These are hidden in about every level, and collect them so you get extra stuff, such as costumes, movie clips, art packs and sounds from the game which some are not heard. Collect All 42 Chests so you get something very special. Similar to Patrick's Socks from BFBB.
- Time Extension Rings - These appear in Patty Wagon Levels, Sonic Wave Guitar Levels, Sliding Levels, and others. Yellow Rings are okay to pass through. When they apppear red, you need to get through quickly are you'll lose and have to start over. These are tricky in later ring challenges after Sandwich Driving 101.
- Krabby Patties - These are scattered in most levels to give you health, and if they all run out, that's bad! Similar to the underwear from BFBB.
- Steel Safe - These are hard to crack open, some things like explosions can defeat these things.
- Nitros - These are here to give you speed boosts, which are only seen in levels where you drive the Patty Wagon.
- Throw Fruit and Freezy Fruit - These were seen in the game's predecessor, Battle for Bikini Bottom. Only Patrick can touch this once he has the throw move in the level Shell City, Dead Ahead. Throw Fruit is usually seen to defeat Merv(s) and push buttons. Freezy Fruit is usually seen to freeze liquids to earn a Goofy Goober Token, and like in BFBB, there is a time limit.
- Bungee Hooks - These are first seen in the level Three...Thousand Miles To Shell City. Like the Throw Fruit and Freezy Fruit, Bungee Hooks were seen in BFBB, but in this game they are used to smash all targets to get a Goofy Goober Token. Only SpongeBob can bungee with his ol' squarepants.
- Buttons - These are seen usually to activate something. Like the Throw Fruit, Freezy Fruit, and the Bungee Hooks these were seen in BFBB, and they work the same way in both games.
- Checkpoints - Walk past this thingymajig and if you lose, you restart from the last activated checkpoint. Like the Throw Fruit, Freezy Fruit, Bungee Hooks and Buttons these were seen in BFBB, and like the buttons they work the same way in both games.
- Goo and Ice - SpongeBob and Patrick can't swim, so avoid goo. These were seen in BFBB as well. Also, on ice, watch your footing!
- Ice Blocks - If you see ice suspended from balloons, and press a certain button, Patrick will use his tongue as a rope to get across.
- Paddlewheel - This first appears in Now That We're Men when you use the Spongebowl. Like the buttons, these are seen to activate something. These were originally seen in BFBB for the strikingly similar Bubble Bowl.
- Bash Platforms - These appear as red circles with a fist in the middle. Usually seen to show that balloon boxes are above and SpongeBob can bash them.
- Port-O-Head - These are usually at the end of the level or next to a challenge the player has to do with SpongeBob when playing as Patrick or Patrick when playing as SpongeBob.
- Springboards - Land on this thingymajig and you'll be sent flying to a certain area. These were seen in BFBB.
- Teleport Boxes - Use these boxes to teleport between two different points in a level. They'll allow to skip areas you've already been to or go back and replay certain sections. These were seen in BFBB.
- Wall Jump - When seen, allow SpongeBob to jump on them by pressing a certain button. These were seen in BFBB.
- Hiding Platforms - These are first seen in I'm Ready...Depression as giant chewy gumballs, in Shell City, Dead Ahead as black trash, and last seen in Welcome To Planktopolis...Minions as mini Plankton statues. When SpongeBob or Patrick gets near them, usually enemies come out.
Each completion of a challenge grants the player with a Goofy Goober Token. In order to learn the moves required to advance in levels and the stories, SpongeBob and Patrick will have to complete these side missions (like the extra driving and minigame challenges) to get these tokens. SpongeBob and Patrick have a few moves, and when they get a sufficient amount of points, they can upgrade a move (e.g. increasing their max health).
PC version - The gameplay is similar to that of Employee of the Month. The game consists of 8 chapters. It mainly follows around SpongeBob and Patrick a various number of locations (e.g. the Trench). Unlike the console versions, there is no save feature; instead, players are given a variety of level passwords as they progress through the game.
Game Boy Advance version - There are 6 worlds to progress through, plus many bonus levels.
- Platinum Hits for the Xbox
- Sony Greatest Hits for the PlayStation 2
- Players Choice for the Nintendo GameCube
- In the PC version, in Squidward's house, there is a chalkboard displaying his new phone number and a picture of Flatts the Flounder beating up SpongeBob.
- In the home console version, a license plate reading "HVY-IRN" can be seen in "Shell City, Dead Ahead", referencing the game's developer, Heavy Iron Studios.
The PS2 version was noted by Play Magazine as "a full blown AAA platformer".
PlayStation 3 Port
On February 5, 2012 (7 years after the game's release), it was officially revealed that The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie would be coming to the PlayStation Store as a PS2 Classic on February 7, 2012.  It was later taken off the store for an unknown reason. The HD version can still be purchased, however, as a download code from GameStop.com.