Sri Lanka Girl Guides Association
|Sri Lanka Girl Guides Association|
Membership badge of the Sri Lanka Girl Guides Association
|Affiliation||World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts|
The Sri Lanka Girl Guides Association (SLGGA, Lanka Baladhakshika Samajaya) (In Sinhala: ශ්රී ලංකා බාළදක්ෂිකා සංගමය, in Tamil:இலங்கைப் மகளீர் சாரணர்க் கழகம்) is the national Guiding organization of Sri Lanka. It serves 37,057 members (as at 01/01/2007) (23,133 in 2003 and 16,656 in 1999). Founded in 1917, the girls-only organization became a full member of the World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts in 1951.
Program and ideals
In the 1960s the image of Girl Guiding in Sri Lanka was changed to give it a local character. New Sri Lanka badges for all ranks in the three branches were introduced.
SLGGA is divided into three sections:
- "Kuda Mithuriye" (Little Friend) aged 7–11
- "Baladhakshika" (Guide) aged 11–16
- "Jayeshta Baladhakshika" (Senior Guide) aged 16–23
Girl Guide Motto
Girl Guide Promise
I promise on my honour to do my best:
To do my duty, to my Religion and Country,
To help other people at all times, and
To live by the Guide Law.
Girl Guide Law
- A Guide's honour is to be trusted.
- A Guide is loyal.
- A Guide's duty is to be useful and to help others.
- A Guide is a friend to all and a sister to every other Guide.
- A Guide is courteous.
- A Guide is a friend to animals.
- A Guide obeys orders.
- A Guide smiles and sings under all difficulties.
- A Guide is thrifty.
- A Guide is pure in thought, word and deed.
An overseas branch of the Sri Lanka Girl Guides Association operates at the Sri Lankan School in Muscat, Oman.
In 2009, Girl Guides at the Sri Lankan School in Muscat had their camp in October canceled to prevent the spread of Swine flu. The Guides paper recycling project was also discontinued for the same reason.
|This Sri Lanka-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Scouting or Guiding article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|