Stephen Roth Institute
|Part of a series on|
Part of Jewish history
It is a resource for information, provides a forum for academic discussion, and fosters research on issues concerning antisemitic and racist theories and manifestations. The Institute's principal focus is the social and political exploitation of these phenomena in the period since the end of World War II, and the influence of their historical background.
The Institute was founded as the Project for the Study of Anti-Semitism in the fall of 1991, and was headed by Prof. Dina Porat of Tel Aviv University until 2010. It is situated within Tel Aviv University's Faculty of the Humanities and is associated with Wiener Library Tel Aviv, home of one of the world’s richest collections of documents related to fascist regimes and movements, and antisemitism. The Institute welcomes visitors and fosters cooperation with universities and research institutes outside Israel.
The institute's activities are:
- The maintenance of an authoritative database freely available through the Internet, which records details of antisemitic incidents throughout the world.
- The organisation of academic conferences and symposium at Tel Aviv University which bring together scholars for the presentation of papers and discussion on a particular topic—both independently and in cooperation with academic institutions in and outside Israel.
- The publication of an annual survey of antisemitic incidents and trends throughout the world.
- Hosting visiting scholars from abroad whose research addresses various aspects of antisemitism and racism. Recent long-term visitors include Profs. Omer Bartov of Brown (2014), Jan T. Gross of Princeton (2012), Jonathan Judaken of Rhodes College, Memphis (2011), and Thomas Sugrue of the University of Pennsylvania (2013).
- Other recent visitors include: Profs. Barbara Engelking-Boni, Polish Center for Holocaust Research, Warsaw, David Feldman, Pears Institute, Birkbeck College, London, Paula Fass, University of California, Berkeley, Jan Grabowski, University of Ottawa, Jeffrey Kopstein, University of Toronto, Michael L. Miller, Central European University, Budapest, Derek Penslar, Oxford University/University of Toronto, Nancy Sinkoff, Rutgers University, and Tara Zahra, University of Chicago.
- Participation in events organized by the International Consortium for Research on Antisemitism and Racism (ICRAR) in cooperation with the Pears Institute for the Study of Antisemitism, London, the Center for Research on Antisemitism at the Technical University, Berlin, and other institutions in Europe, Israel and North America.
- Support for students and scholars at Tel Aviv University whose research advances the study and understanding of antisemitism and racism.
- An ongoing research group of graduate students and post-doctoral fellows at Tel Aviv University.
- The publication of studies of particular aspects of the subject.
- To undertake research projects on aspects of antisemitic and racist manifestations. To that end it adopts an interdisciplinary approach that draws on the abilities and resources of other departments of Tel Aviv University.
- Stephen Roth Institute releases new anti-Semitism report, World Jewish Congress
- The Lester and Sally Entin Faculty of Humanities The Roth Institute for the Study of Contemporary Antisemitism and Racism on Jewish Studies
- Stephen Roth Institute on Norway 2008/2009
- "Fear of Neighbours: Graduate Student Workshop with Jan T. Gross," Tel Aviv University, April, 2012.
- "The Education of Barack Obama," Lecture at Tel Aviv University, Prof. Thomas Sugrue, The University of Pennsylvania, May, 2013.
- "Lucy S. Dawidowicz: An American in Vilna," Naomi Prawer Kadar Annual Lecture, Prof. Nancy Sinkoff, Rutgers University, June, 2013.
- "Jews and Race: An Interdisciplinary Symposium on Genetics, History and Culture," Tel Aviv University, January, 2014.
- "International Law, Antisemitism and Jewish Lawyering at the United Nations," Seminar at TAU's Law School, Prof. James Loeffler, The University of Virginia, March, 2014.
- "The Holocaust as Genocide: Integrated History and Scholarly Integrity," Lecture at TAU, Prof. Omer Bartov, Brown University, May, 2014.
- "Stephen Roth Institute for the Study of Contemporary Anti-Semitism and Racism". European Shoah Legacy Institute. Retrieved 25 January 2014.
- "The Stephen Roth Institute for the Study of Contemporary Anti-Semitism and Racism". FightHatred. Retrieved 25 January 2014.