The Stone Angel
|Publisher||McClelland and Stewart|
The Stone Angel, first published in 1964 by McClelland and Stewart, is perhaps the best-known of Margaret Laurence's series of novels set in the fictitious town of Manawaka, Manitoba. In parallel narratives set in the past and the present-day (early 1960s), The Stone Angel tells the story of Hagar Currie Shipley. In the present-day narrative, 90-year-old Hagar is struggling against being put in a nursing home, which she sees as a symbol of death. The present-day narrative alternates with Hagar's looking back at her life.
In a series of vignettes, The Stone Angel tells the story of Hagar Shipley, a 90-year-old woman struggling to come to grips with a life of intransigence and loss. The themes of pride and the prejudice that comes from social class recur in the novel.
Literary significance and criticism
Amongst other titles by Laurence, The Stone Angel is consistently listed as one of the greatest Canadian novels ever written. School boards have been pressured to ban her novels. The novel is studied at the grade 12 university level in other schools.
Recognition and adaptions
- The Stone Angel was one of the selected books in the 2002 edition of Canada Reads, where it was championed by Leon Rooke.
- Made into a movie The Stone Angel, filmed in Winnipeg and Hartney, Manitoba. Stars Ellen Burstyn, Dylan Baker, Ellen Page and Kevin Zegers.
- Eric McMillan. "Greatest Literature of All Time". Editoreric.
- Margaret Atwood (2006). "The LRC 100 (Part One), Canada's Most Important Books". Literary Review of Canada.
- Lale Eskicioglu (July 2010). "The Stone Angel By Margaret Laurence". Bizim Anadolu.
- Nora Foster Stovel (January 1, 2008). Divining Margaret Laurence: A Study of Her Complete Writings. McGill-Queen's Press - MQUP. pp. 5–. ISBN 978-0-7735-7503-5.
- "Margaret Laurence's books banned". CBC.
- Linda Richards (November 1998). "Strength Without Beauty". January Magazine.
- "Leon Rooke". CBC. August 2, 2014.
- "A tribute to Margaret Laurence". CBC. January 5, 2015.
- "The Stone Angel (2007)". Rotten Tomatoes.
|This article about a 1960s novel is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|