The Story of Dr. Wassell
|The Story of Dr. Wassell|
|Directed by||Cecil B. DeMille|
|Produced by||Cecil B. DeMille|
|Narrated by||Cecil B. DeMille (uncredited)|
|Music by||Victor Young|
William E. Snyder
|Editing by||Anne Bauchens|
|Distributed by||Paramount Pictures|
|Running time||140 minutes|
The Story of Dr. Wassell is a 1944 American Technicolor World War II film set in the Dutch East Indies, directed by Cecil B. DeMille, and starring Gary Cooper, Laraine Day, Signe Hasso and Dennis O'Keefe. The film was based on a book of the same name by novelist and screenwriter James Hilton, his only nonfiction book.
The book and film were inspired by the wartime activities of U.S. Navy Doctor Corydon M. Wassell which were referred to by President Roosevelt in a radio broadcast made in April 1942. The appropriate section of this broadcast appears toward the end of the film.
- Gary Cooper as Dr. Corydon M. Wassell
- Laraine Day as Madeleine
- Signe Hasso as Bettina
- Dennis O'Keefe as Benjamin 'Hoppy' Hopkins
- Carol Thurston as Tremartini
- Carl Esmond as Lt. Dirk Van Daal
- Paul Kelly as Murdock
- Elliott Reid as William 'Andy' Anderson
- Stanley Ridges as Cmdr. William B. 'Bill' Goggins
- Renny McEvoy as Johnny Leeweather
- Oliver Thorndike as Alabam
- Philip Ahn as Ping
- Barbara Britton as Ruth
- unbilled players include Richard Aherne, Irving Bacon, Sven Hugo Borg, Victor Borge, Yvonne De Carlo, Ann Doran, Milton Kibbee, Elmo Lincoln, Richard Loo, Gavin Muir, Jack Norton and Philip Van Zandt
- "The 17th Academy Awards (1945) Nominees and Winners". oscars.org. Retrieved 2013-06-23.
- "News About Movies.". The Mail (Adelaide, SA : 1912 - 1954) (Adelaide, SA: National Library of Australia). 12 January 1946. p. 8. Retrieved 4 March 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to The Story of Dr. Wassell.|
- The Story of Dr. Wassell at the American Film Institute Catalog
- The Story of Dr. Wassell at the Internet Movie Database
- Roosevelt: 'A Call for Sacrifice', April 28, 1942
|This article about a war film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|