The Sulphur Institute
The Sulphur institute was founded in 1960; initially working with companies involved in the mining of sulphur using the Frasch Process. With the increase of sulphur extraction from natural gas and oil production, TSI's members now includes multinational energy companies. The Sulphur Institute connects these sulphur producers with sulphur's largest consumer markets (fertilzers and construction materials), transporters, traders and service providers. Today, The Sulphur Institute's member companies include a host of companies from five continents involved with producing, consuming, trading, adding value or supplying services to the sulphur industry.
Programs and Activities
TSI is actively engaged in event planning and publishing print materials for the benefit of all sulphur stakeholders. Their work includes international meetings, developing field activities in regions where sulphur has an economically beneficial role. TSI provides individuals with access to sulphur related publications. In addition to these meetings and printed works, TSI has programs in four main aspects of the sulphur industry: Transportation Regulation and Logistics, Sulphur Advocacy, Environment, Health and Safety, and Sulphur Information and Image.
Transportation Regulation and Logistics
TSI serves as a spokesperson for the sulphur industry with its Transportation Regulation and Logistics program. "TSI monitors for proposed changes to regulations impacting transportation and handling of sulphur and sulphur compounds." Their program covers transportation by rail, road, and sea transportation on regional, national, and international levels.
The Sulphur Advocacy program encourages the usage of sulphur worldwide in many applications, to promote sulphur as a valuable fertilizer. "Through advocacy, education, and promotion, the program seeks to facilitate increased sulphur demand by removing hurdles for private industry to develop commercial scale sulphur-based fertilizer businesses."
TSI has worked in China and India to develop and promote the use of sulphur. China is one of the major consumers of sulphur, mainly because of its phosphate fertilizer industry. TSI began encouraging sulphur market growth in China beginning in 1994 and has continued working with Chinese organizations. In the 1984 The Sulphur Institute began working with representatives in India to encourage similar growth in sulphur usage. TSI worked with the International Fertilizer Industry Association and the Fertilizer Association of India to provide activities and resources on the use of sulphur in agriculture.
Environment, Health and Safety
TSI's Environment, Health and Safety program addresses environmental and safety issues surrounding the transportation, production, and storage of sulphur. The Sulphur Institute's program allows regulatory agencies and industry stakeholders to connect, exchange knowledge and develop practices which improve the safety of the industry.
Sulphur Information and Image
The Sulphur Institute provides members, government and non-government agencies, and industry stakeholders accurate information on sulphur. TSI has served as a source of industry information for many publications including the Wall Street Journal. TSI is often quoted by publications within the industry as well. The information gathered by TSI is made available through a number of publications, webinars, and speaking engagements.
Sulphur World Symposium
The Sulphur Institute holds an international symposium annually titled The Sulphur Institute's Sulphur World Symposium. The symposia are attended by producers, consumers, and traders in sulphur, as well as industry service providers, and feature speakers discussing a range of topics relating to sulphur. The 2010 Sulphur World Symposium is to be held in Doha, Qatar, from April 12 until April 15, 2010. This year's symposium features a tour of the Ras Laffan Industrial City which is not normally available to the public.
Publications made by The Sulphur Institute include market studies, industrial publications, general brochures about sulphur, and brochures on the agricultural uses of sulphur. Symposium proceedings are also available. Most publications are available in English, with several available in Spanish, Chinese, and Hindi.
- The Sulphur Institute. "TSI's Mission". Retrieved 2009-01-27.
- The Sulphur Institute. "About TSI". Retrieved 2009-01-27.
- Nakamura, David (2003-04-21). "Awash in a Sea of Sulfur". Oil & Gas Journal (PennWell Corporation) 101. Retrieved 2009-07-07.
- The Sulphur Institute. "TSI Member Companies". Retrieved 2009-01-29.
- The Sulphur Institute. "TSI Programs and Activities". Retrieved 2009-03-06.
- The Sulphur Institute. "TSI Transportation, Regulation & Logistics". Retrieved 2009-03-06.
- The Sulphur Institute. "TSI Sulphur Advocacy". Retrieved 2009-03-06.
- Nakamura, David "Awash in a Sea of Sulfur" Oil & Gas Journal Volume 101 April 21, 2003.
- PR Newswire Europe Ltd. "Excess Sulphur Presents Perplexing Problem For Oil and Gas Companies Worldwide". Retrieved 2009-01-27.
- The Sulphur Institute. "TSI's Chinese Affiliate". Retrieved 2009-01-27.[dead link]
- The Sulphur Institute's Indian Affiliate. "Research and Extension Projects". Retrieved 2009-03-09.
- The Sulphur Institute. "TSI Environmental Health and Safety". Retrieved 2009-03-09.
- Barrionuevo, Alexei "A Chip Off the Block Is Going to Smell Like Rotten Eggs" The Wall Street Journal November 4, 2003.
- "Positive Atmosphere at TSI's Amsterdam Symposium." Fertilizer Focus November/December (2007).
- The Sulphur Institute. "TSI Publications Directory". Retrieved 2009-03-09.